greebas
Newly Registered

Green Bean variety.

DSC_1680.JPG
Need help identifying a green bean. I planted 4 varieties this year, and found one that has the taste I've been searching for.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What are the 4 varieties that you planted?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You planted them, now you say you don't know what they are? Are you putting us on?

imafan26
Mod

I hope you saved some seeds.

greebas
Newly Registered

jal_ut wrote:You planted them, now you say you don't know what they are? Are you putting us on?

Nope, not putting you on. It's called "forgot," and it happens.
Last edited by greebas on Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

greebas
Newly Registered

Gary350 wrote:What are the 4 varieties that you planted?

That's part of the problem, I only remember 3: Tendercrop, Tendergreen and Contender.

applestar
Mod

- Do you have any of the seeds left? You could start by comparing seed color and size. Were they white or tan? Or maybe other colors?

- Do you have more beans to harvest? When harvesting, take different containers - buckets, bags, and sort them separately so you can taste them separately. Make sure to mark your containers. Then you could mark the variety that you like the best at least by where you are growing them.

- if you have plants left, let some of the beans grow to mature dry beans without picking them as green beans. You could even save enough to grow next year (if they are not hybrid variety). Then you will be able to see the mature dry bean color, too.

— Tendercrop for example has mottled bean color... oooh NOPE, all 3 of these have mottled color beans, so “mottled” is too vague... maybe the bean and marking will be different colors...

...how about Tendergreen is described as “dark green” pods compared to Tendercrop and Contender as “medium green”....?

greebas
Newly Registered

applestar wrote:- Do you have any of the seeds left? You could start by comparing seed color and size. Were they white or tan? Or maybe other colors?

- Do you have more beans to harvest? When harvesting, take different containers - buckets, bags, and sort them separately so you can taste them separately. Make sure to mark your containers. Then you could mark the variety that you like the best at least by where you are growing them.

- if you have plants left, let some of the beans grow to mature dry beans without picking them as green beans. You could even save enough to grow next year (if they are not hybrid variety). Then you will be able to see the mature dry bean color, too.

— Tendercrop for example has mottled bean color... oooh NOPE, all 3 of these have mottled color beans, so “mottled” is too vague... maybe the bean and marking will be different colors...

...how about Tendergreen is described as “dark green” pods compared to Tendercrop and Contender as “medium green”....?

No, I don't have any seeds left and only about 30 ft of one remaining row.. When I planted the 4 varieties I labeled each seed packet with a number 1-4, corresponding to the row they were in. I placed the packets in a drawer, but they were inadvertently thrown out... oops. What I do have is a bucket of these beans getting ready to be snapped and cooked, of course that doesn't really help me. Thanks for trying.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I see you live in TN you may still have time to plant more beans if you don't live above 1000 ft elevation most beans are a 65 day crop. You might get 1 small harvest enough to learn which bean you like. Next spring you will know what to plant. I planted beans 2 weeks ago and I'm going to plant a few beans tomorrow if seeds come in the mail tomorrow.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Nope, not putting you on. It's called "forgot," and it happens."

Oh, I call it CRS disease. "Can't Remember Stuff"

They could be "Jade"

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

If you have some of the raw beans left, maybe post a pic of the raw pods and beans inside too; maybe a little easier for someone to identify? Those cooked beans you posted look just like my stringless green pods that I plant when they're cooked up. :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”