SLC

Are these Scallions edible? Or not safe to eat?

See the white/yellow lines or blotches? Not really sure what they are...

Is it (hopefully) because I let the plant get so huge (it's like 2 feet tall) or is it a disease or pest?

I have let them get this tall before and ate them, but I am worried I will get sick or something with those lines on them...

Are they edible like this?
Scallions.jpg
Scallions close up.jpg
If you click and click again, you can really see them close up to see what I am talking about.

I wanted to use for dinner tonight, so if you see this, please let me know right away, thank you!

imafan26
Mod

They are probably botrytis leaf fleck. It occurs more in warm humid weather. We get that every year and there are white marks on the leaves and the tips are usually dry and brown. The onions are still sold in the markets, the growers just cut the tops off. When the green onions tips are not brown, they are left on. The fungal disease in on the surface and does not get inside the onion so it is not economically important.

Botrytis blight would kill the plants rapidly but leaf fleck does not. Other things that cause marks on the leaves are feeding from thrips and onion root maggots. Onion rust would be more yellow/orange.

https://plantvillage.psu.edu/topics/onion/infos
https://learningstore.uwex.edu/Assets/pdfs/A3803.pdf

SLC

imafan26 wrote:They are probably botrytis leaf fleck. It occurs more in warm humid weather. We get that every year and there are white marks on the leaves and the tips are usually dry and brown. The onions are still sold in the markets, the growers just cut the tops off. When the green onions tips are not brown, they are left on. The fungal disease in on the surface and does not get inside the onion so it is not economically important.f
Except that these are scallions and the tops is what I will be eating....that's why I need to know if it is safe to eat or not.

imafan26
Mod

The tops are the part that we eat as well. We don't hill scallions to get more of the white part. However, most of us don't like the leaves to get fat and tough. We prefer to eat the thinner and younger scallions on things like omelettes, saimin or ramen. They don't usually have as much damage either. The older, fatter leaves are mostly used for hekka where they will be cut in larger pieces and cooked longer rather than used as a garnish.

I usually keep my green onions (I grow bunching onions, Tokyo negi, White Lisbon bunching onions, for about two years and I just cut the tops and leave the bottoms in the ground to regrow. I try to get local Koba onion seeds when they are available since it is more resistant to onion rust. The leaves will get fatter over time and it usually blooms in the Spring and that is when I replace them. I grow them year round and I like the leaves only about a 1/4 inch in diameter.
I also grow leeks, and I started Shimonita Leeks this year. (it takes a full year for it to mature. I think mine are a little behind. I will need to fertilize them more once the weather gets cooler.) I have also grown red onions, the Filipinos like that one but it is hot and garlicky and I don't like it.

We still eat them when they get those scars on them, it is safe to eat. The tips are usually brown so we have to cut that part off.
The other way around that for us is to cut it all back to the ground and let it regrow from the roots. It grows fast and we can usually get another cutting in a few weeks.

SLC

I didn't know that if you cut the leaves off, more, "fresh" ones will grow!

Thanks for the tip! I will do that today on the big/fat ones....I do have smaller ones too that don't have as much damage, but figured I would use the older ones up first.

Thanks for your help!

imafan26
Mod

Bunching onions are cut and come again. You can cut them off just at the top of the white part of the stem and in a day or two there will already be 1/2-1 inch growth.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”