Ksk
Cool Member

Advice welcome for sickly strawberries

Question 1:
If I fertilize my strawberries with chelated iron do I also need to add sulfur to help the plants absorb the iron?

Question 2:
Does these leaves suggest a lack of other trace minerals?

Question 3:
Once I supplement the plants I was wondering if these leaves will get green or will it show up in new leaves only?

My strawberries have never grown large fruit so I will appreciate any advice.
Thanks!
Attachments
B517E306-AAAC-4C91-9233-20142CD6DF6B.png

imafan26
Mod

What is the soil like? Strawberries like a slightly acidic soil and moist but well drained soil. They do not like heavy clay. They like to be in the sun to produce berries, but if you live in the south or the tropics, it is best to plant strawberries where they will only get morning sun or in containers that can be moved to full sun in the cooler months and morning sun or under trees during the summer. Containers are also good since snails and slugs can be a problem. I only grow everbearing varieties since I have short days. I give most of my plants citrus food since it is acidic and contains slow N and micronutrients. Other fertilizers that are good for acid loving plants are miracle grow for acid loving plants, tomato food, and rose fertilizers.

If you want to grow strawberries organically, you will have to manage nitrogen and supplement your strawberries with additional fast release nitrogen in the Spring when plants are growing and producing berries and runners and in the fall. Organic sources of faster nitrogen is Blood meal, fish meal, cottonseed meal, alfalfa, or feather meal. The beds can be amended with compost and aged manures, but be careful to balance the pH. Strawberries prefer a slightly acidic soil and aerobic composts and chicken manure can be alkaline. You may want to add peat moss instead since it is acidic and an anaerobic compost, vermicast, or add sulfur 6 months prior to planting according to what your soil test recommends. Organic fertilizers have very low numbers and take time to release their nutrients so the soil should ideally be amended 6 months in advance of the planting, especially if the plants are heavy feeders. Additional supplements may be needed since plants may need more nitrogen available during certain stages of growth and organic fertilizers may not be able to provide enough without supplementation.
Iron can be obtained from organic fertilizers like blood meal and seaweed extract.
It is important to manage sanitation, weeds, and water. Strawberries are susceptible to fungal diseases and some recommend that the strawberries be rotated to a different bed every year.

Ksk
Cool Member

Thank you!
I suspect my soil ph is at issue. I will test and the try what you recommend. The soil is raised beds. I too have planted ever bearing strawberries but they have always had this anemic look to them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”