SLC

Is it safe to eat this broccoli?

My usual heat tolerant broccoli seems to not be available anymore, so I had to get a different type - Bonanza Hybrid - that is supposed to be heat tolerant. It's been around 95-100 degrees since last week and will last through Friday. It is also extremely humid so the heat index has been over 100 degrees every day. We have this same type of weather every summer and I've never had a problem with my broccoli bolting, but with this new kind, it is.

So I had to cut the heads early before the flowers opened up. They are almost ready to open...

Is it still safe to eat if it looks like this?

Does it matter if it is eaten raw or is it better to be cooked?

Top View
Top view.jpg
Side View
Side View.jpg

applestar
Mod

You got it just in time. Looks pretty perfect to me. If you let those yellowish areas — opening flowerbuds — unfold, they become very delicate and easily spoiled, some people say some bitterness creeps in, too. I wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve eaten it already — it's been almost 3 hrs. :wink:

Personally I don’t like raw broccoli — I like to steam the florets and peeled and chunked thicker stems or sautée just until bright green — still with crunch/texture. Then eat hot or chilled with dip. I used to call them broccoli “trees” and broccoli “rocks” for my DD’s and that’s what they still call’em. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All the above ground parts of the broccoli are edible, stem, leaves, flower buds, flowers.

I have had broccoli get ahead of me and look like this:

I still eat it. The little yellow flowers are nice in salads.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:All the above ground parts of the broccoli are edible, stem, leaves, flower buds, flowers.

I have had broccoli get ahead of me and look like this:
I LIKE THAT. I am going to plant broccoli just for those nice looking yellow flowers. My broccoli started to bolt a month ago I ate them anyway.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”