BalconyGardener80

Re: Straight 8 cucumbers only producing male flowers

Hello again,

So as I stated before, I started some late season Bush Champion cukes back in July. This has been one hot summer and figured that I probably wouldn't get anything. However, a couple days ago, just when I thought the season was just about over (and had basically given up), I got a surprise:
IMG_4790.jpg
Yes, one lonely female flower, late in the season, when the temperature went down into the high 70s/low 80s. I hand pollinated it this morning when the flower opened up and came home to find it shriveled up as seen, so hopefully that is a good sign. :-() If I get just one cuke, I at least know that I am capable of growing such things on a balcony facing NW.

This comes after I had already started my fall garden..... :shock:

imafan26
Mod

Try a parthenocarpic variety. It does not require any pollination, in fact, you don't want pollination. It still needs adequate light.
If you have no female flowers, 3 weeks after the male flowers come out, you can try stimulating the male flowers to make them think that the bees are coming around. The males come out first to entice pollinators to come in, they might start producing more females if the male flowers are visited. You should also plant some nectar plants to bring more bees in.
Most plants will not produce flowers or will go to seed in extreme conditions. You may need to adjust your planting time so the plants flower at the right temps around 75-90 degrees. Your cuke does look like it needs more light. the leaves are dark green and small so maybe some artificial lighting or reflectors can help get more light on the plant.

BalconyGardener80

I did have an LED grow light on it until I started my fall seedlings indoors (I needed it for that). The plant has grown pretty well without it. The baby cuke is pretty new at the end of the newest growth which is why the leaves are small. If you saw the rest of the plant you would see the larger leaves. But yes I defintely agree... the position of my balcony isn't great when it comes to getting direct light.

My other plants.. bush beans, habanero peppers.. are doing quite well with the same amount of light though.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Plant third weed of May to June 1."

Write, read, fix, read again, then if correct, POST. (can't go back and fix my stupid mistake, so am just making fun of myself)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”