Stevechi
Newly Registered

Low nitrogen

Looking for a fast fix in my garden very low on nitrogen when I use a soil test kit. Any suggestions on a fast fix and then one for long term?

applestar
Mod

What are you growing? Also — What are the values for other nutrients? Do you just have the NPK values?

Stevechi
Newly Registered

A variety of different vegetables.my pumpkin plants seem small .also growing corn,winter squash, gourds, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, swiss chard, peppers, eggplant, kale,cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc... have 2 separate gardens....
The garden where I have the pumpkin's and the Winter squash seems not be growing as good as the garden where I have all the rest of vegetables

Stevechi
Newly Registered

I used my soil test kit and I am good in potassium and phosphorus just very low in nitrogen

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If all you need is nitrogen buy a 50 lb bag of Urea $15 and a 30 lb bag of pellet Lime $8 at a farm supply store, mix them together 80% urea + 20% lime. Urea is a nitrogen that plants can not use but when you add calcium it becomes a different slow release nitrogen that plants can use. Corn needs lots of nitrogen. Tomatoes do not need much nitrogen 2-4-8 fertilizer works good for tomatoes. I put wood ash on my tomato plants it is PK & calcium. Swiss chard & peppers do better for me if I get then extra nitrogen. Tomatoes, peppers, melons, squash all need calcium to prevent BER. Put 15-15-15 fertilizer on all your other plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Farm Supply store or Gardening store should have some nitrogen fertilizer. I fertilize the whole garden in early spring before planting anything, and sometimes side dress the corn later. Have fun!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Organic?

I am surprised how quickly composted chicken manure becomes available to plants. It doesn't take a lot and they green quickly.

Long-term? Not really, at the low rate I use. Repeat application every few weeks for something in the ground for a long season.

I make a point of buying a manure with a certified 3% N. Not tested brands might be as good but I want commitment. The 3% is very little and I don't pile it on. Still, it has a quick action and I can be back. For some plants, that is with fish emulsion.

I have used a 5% organic mix that was of such slow benefit that I felt that I was applying it one year to fertilize plants growing the next. Probably the best I can do organically is provide compost and I make a lot. I'm conscientious of all plant wastes and also inclined to add the bagged chicken manure especially when there are lots of "browns.". However, there is never enough compost - no way near.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Nitrogen is a limiting factor of growth. If you are growing organically and this is a relatively new garden that is less than 3 years old, you will need to supplement.

Organic nitrogen is hard to get. Most of it is not available immediately. The numbers are low. Chicken manure if you are lucky has maybe 3% nitrogen and maybe 1% is immediately available, the rest will be released over time. Organic fertilizers may take up to 2 years to totally release all of the nutrients. Soil conditions like pH, and temperature will also affect the rate of release. Blood meal and fish emulsion are faster to release. Soil bacteria will take up some nitrogen decomposing any unfinished compost and that leaves a little less for the plants. You are also growing plants that are mostly heavy and moderate feeders. Only the beans have the potential to use less nitrogen. The faster the growth of the plants, root system, and the larger the plant and leaf cover, the more nitrogen they will need. Nitrogen is usually not needed evenly by most plants. Most plants require more nitrogen in the early stages of growth before the plant matures. Total nitrogen requirements should be divided into 2 or 3 feedings as nitrogen is volatile and leaches or is converted quickly in ammoniacal form. Slow nitrogen is available over a longer time but may not be enough to support early growth and you would have to add a sufficient quantity to match the nitrogen availability of a synthetic fertilizer. Perhaps if the garden was older or there was a better balance between the plants so that you would have plants that did not demand as much of any one nutrient it would be better. For now if you want to go with organic, supplement with an organic fertilizer that releases nitrogen relatively fast like blood meal or fish emulsion at least while the plants are young and actively growing.

https://organicallydone.com/nutrient-ava ... ease-time/
https://extension.usu.edu/waterquality/ ... HG-510.pdf

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

You can make your own organic nitrogen fertilizer in a few days. Start out with good compost material 4 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket. Mix in 1 gallon of wood ask stir well. Pee in the bucket several times every day about 6 or 7 times each day keep a lid on top or flat board on top the bucket. In a few days it starts smelling like ammonia. Urine produces a chemical reaction with wood ash ammonia smell means it is making nitrogen. This is a strong nitrogen work it into your soil near the plants that need nitrogen. This is how people fertilized their garden back in the 1800s and early 1900s do Google search read about it. Millions of gallons of urine is flushed down the toilet every day that could have fertilized all the crops in the whole USA.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nitrogen is the most transient of the nutrients and always needs to be replenished

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”