SLC

Need Advice About Removing Vegetable Growing Next to Another

Every year I usually have about 24 or so potato plants in a row. I always get too many potatoes and never use them all by the next spring. So this year I only planted about 15 potato plants and planted more peanuts in it's place.

I was weeding today and must've missed a couple of potatoes cuz after I cleared the weeds away, I see potatoes growing in the newly transplanted peanuts area. I put down weed fabric and cut holes for each plant and noticed potatoes growing right next to the peanuts in the same hole.

Now I need advice. Should I attempt to dig up the 2 peanut plants and move them elsewhere and let the potatoes grow or should I just dig up the potatoes and toss them?

The ONLY spot I would have to move the peanut plants to is about 9 inches away from where it is now, which is only 2 feet away from my onions - meaning now there would only be about 15 inches between the peanuts and onions - not sure how much space is needed between onions and peanuts.

Any advice/suggestions is greatly appreciated!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would just clip the top growth of the unwanted potato. Yes, it may regrow, but just clip it again. You can't really dig up the plant without disturbing or destroying the other's roots.

SLC

jal_ut wrote:I would just clip the top growth of the unwanted potato. Yes, it may regrow, but just clip it again. You can't really dig up the plant without disturbing or destroying the other's roots.
Oh, I didn't know I could do that....if I keep clipping the plant portion, will potatoes still form underneath? And will the peanut plant keep growing as usual?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

" will potatoes still form underneath?" NO " And will the peanut plant keep growing as usual?" Yes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”