dondem
Newly Registered

Can anyone help me confirm the problem, cukes and zucchini?

Hey all,

I have been growing veg now for a few years in containers on my patio. I live in Brooklyn, NY and it is hot here right now. 80F 30c. Aphids are always a problem for me and I thought I had been controlling them pretty well with pure neem oil diluted.

I just noticed spots on my zucchini plants but there I don't see a whole lot of aphids. There are a bunch on my eggplants but they seem to be healthy and not showing any signs of stress. I spray the neem on all my plants on cooler days and at night when I can.

I have attached some photos.

Zucchini
thumbnail-2.jpg
thumbnail-1.jpg
thumbnail-7.jpg
thumbnail-5.jpg
I am praying this is not mosaic virus. The fruit seem health for now. So far my tomatoes are showing no signs. I see some similar patterns on the lower leaves of one cucumber plant I have.

Cucumber
thumbnail-3.jpg
thumbnail-4.jpg
thumbnail-6.jpg
If it is do I really have to kill them all? My tomato plants are my pride and joy so I will do anything to keep them healthy. Even if it means killing the whole garden. The chillis don't seem affected either.

Also if I do kill the zucs and cucs is it too late to replant being the end of june?

Really appreciate any input. I just joined the website so I am looking forward to being part of disscussions here moving forward!
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. I think that's downy mildew, at least on the zucchini.

I get the powdery mildew every year. I don't think you need to destroy the plants, but they won't be very happy. If it's similar to powdery mildew, it's hard to fight completely; I just seem to slow it down.

dondem
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply! Think you are right and that is a great relief. I pruned the affected leaves and hope I can control it. I hope I didn't prune too many. I plant only has 8 leaves left and the other 7. Any thoughts?

kayjay
Green Thumb

That's pretty much what I've done, too. Do you have a spray bottle handy? You can try spraying them with milk or diluted peroxide to help fight it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”