Stevechi
Newly Registered

Watering vegetables

I was wondering if I could water my vegetables with algae water I have in a 250 gallon tank that has 20 gallons of pigeon manure tea in it?....I raise my own racing pigeons...so I know they have no diseases....thanks in advance!.... The tank is full so it is diluted with 20 gallons of manure tea

MoonShadows

Welocme Stevechi,

I found this bit of advice online. I hope it helps.

To make Pigeon Dropping Tea, collect a good sized amount of droppings. Make sure they are dry. If they are not dry, allow them to dry (spread them out somewhere to dry). Put them in an old pillow case. Weight them. Fill a large plastic barrel with a lid with 10 times the weight of water to droppings. Place the closed pillow case in the barrel and let sit 3-4 weeks, stirring regularly.

This forms a concentrate. When using this, dilute the concentrate 1:20 with water. So, 1 cup of concentrate Pigeon Droppings Tea with 19 cups of water. You can then water vegetables with this. Be sure not to pour it directly onto the plants, but rather around them. It will stink to high heaven, but is the best natural fertilizer you can get.

As with just about all birds, pigeon dropping are "hot" (very high in nitrogen), and this can burn your plants. That's why it needs to be dried and diluted. Never use the fresh droppings directly on the soil. Always make a tea or compost the droppings for the following season.

Stevechi
Newly Registered

Thank you!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”