funonahonda
Newly Registered

What is wrong with my Rhubarb?

Hello,
I just planted two Rhubarb plants Saturday June.9 and now they have the dots on them and a few of the stem/leaves are dying, What can I do to save these plants. Thanks a lot

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WHAT is your geographical location? Weather conditions? Soil type? Temperature? Humidity? Etc? Pictures?

funonahonda
Newly Registered

For some reason I can not figure out how to post a pic. sorry

funonahonda
Newly Registered

IMG_8917 2.jpg
[img]
IMG_8916 2.jpg
[/img]

funonahonda
Newly Registered

I have some used straw we took out of the goat pen, should I put some of that around the plants?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

keep it watered. Looks good to me. Yes, you can mulch it. I like to lay down newspaper then the mulch material.

funonahonda
Newly Registered

what does the newspaper do?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I live in Tennessee it is too humid here & too much rain Rhubarb does not like it wet. My Rhubarb has to be in a 1 ft tall hill to keep plants out of the mud. Rhubarb likes full sun all day in its native area Northern USA and Alaska where it grows wild. TN sun is hotter than Michigan sun, so far so good.

I have a volunteer Rhubarb plant that came up from the location where they were first plants last year. It is not doing well where it is but I think 95 degree weather it too hot to move it. I think it will be ok to move it about November after frost kills the leaves.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"what does the newspaper do?"

The newspaper keeps the lil weeds from coming up from seeds. It will also help hold the moisture in the ground.

Here in high dry Utah, keeping that moisture is very important.

Gary 350 says: "I live in Tennessee it is too humid here & too much rain Rhubarb does not like it wet."

So you see things vary all over depending on where you live and the climate.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

funonahonda, You might want to put your location and gardening zone in your data. That will help us to help you if we know where you are and what your challenges may be?

funonahonda
Newly Registered

Ok I live in Central Ohio and my plant is getting worse here it is
IMG_8932.jpg

funonahonda
Newly Registered

I forgot to mention that we have had a lot of rain the last week but I have been still watering at night.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

funonahonda wrote:I forgot to mention that we have had a lot of rain the last week but I have been still watering at night.
After I planted my Rhubarb it would not stop raining. Leaves turned brown 1 by 1 all the plants fatally died to death. I dug up all my plants then planted them all in a hill of soil 1 foot tall by 6 ft long to keep them above the swamp. 5 of the 9 plants grew new leaves. Now I never water the plants they have been growing good in the hill for over a year and they survived the worse cold winter in about 35 years.
Attachments
100_0193.JPG
100_0192.JPG

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”