Toxic1979

Garlic ... way up north

Looking for some advice....

I planted about 72 garlic (Various types) in a raised bed last Fall (October 2017). About 3 weeks later we had frost. By frost I mean frozen ground for the next 6 months guaranteed.... this year has proven to be longer.

About 2 weeks ago, when all of the snow was off the garlic bed and the spring sun had been warming the soil, they started to poke through the ground. I kind of panicked as I know the evening temps were around -10 celsius. I put a bed blanket, and a tarp over them every night since, just before the heat of the day was lost. I uncover them every morning just as the heat o fate day starts to roll back in. Usually uncovered for about 12 hours. In direct sunlight.

More have grown, and they seem to be doing very well.... considering our weather this year. What next? They are about 2-3 inches in height now, and seem very strong. Am I in a "Leave them alone, and let them do there own thing" phase? Do they need fertilizer? Now that I'm this far with them, I'm just looking for advice on what should I do next, and going forward.

See picture below for a quick progress pic. You all may think... thats not much, but I'm am pumped over these! I really didn't think Id get this far.
Garlic (2018 wk 23).jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Hi Toxic (?)

I'm in 'balmy' BC so I'm guessing, but my guess is that you'll get a crop of garlic with smaller - and later? - cloves than you would in a warmer climate. That's based on the fact that in years when I didn't plant till spring, I still got a useful but smaller harvest. I've seldom (never?) fertilized them while they're growing. I AM just guessing but no doubt some members from the US states with harsher winters will give you better information. How warm & how long is your summer?

Good luck and I do hope you'll follow through and tell us what happens. I love garlic, not just for eating - it's the only thing where if I plant 100 seeds I can generally count on harvesting about 98.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, just keep them watered and let them do their thing. You say you planted several types? That is a good thing, you need to watch and see which one does best. This is the one you want to propagate for following years.

Toxic1979

Harvesting the varieties that I planted soon.

Will post pics and results in near future.

Foodgardenguy
Newly Registered

We're here also in Canada.

Every fall, we plant the garlic (around late October-early November). We have never needed to watch them whether they get affected by frost or not. From what I have read, they need the cold to send the roots deeper. We make sure to plant the garlic about 4 inches deep.

We have planted the garlic in the spring as well, but they do not turn out as big. We never fertilize our garlic, but make sure the soil has good organic matter and well drained.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”