SLC

Cutworms and Stem Size

I have had a problem with cutworms in the past, and I am finally in the process of putting out my transplants now. Last year they only took out one pepper plant, but I don't want to take any chances this year.

My pepper plants are a little bit thicker than the size of a pencil right now - some even thicker than that. But my tomatoes are only about that thickness....I had a problem getting them started.

How large does the stem have to be for cutworms to leave it alone? Do they attack ALL veggies or just certain ones?

Does anyone know?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Put corn meal around the plant stem then cut worms will leave your plants along. I'm not sure why this works but it does. If rain or due makes the corn meal get hard you need to replace corn meal in the evening. I think cut worms are probably looking for something to eat when they find the corn meal they eat it. Powder corn meal works good I have always bought the smallest bag 1lb at the grocery store & use a kitchen tablespoon to pour corn meal on the soil around the stem of each plant.

I have seen Robins peck the stems near the soil then plants fall over. Once I saw a Robin peck 3 plants in a row 1 by 1 all 3 fell over. When I inspected the plants it looked like cut worms did it.

SLC

Thanks for the tip! I do have some and will put that out as a precaution.

I was wondering if any of the plants I have already (described above) have big enough stems so I won't have to worry, etc.?

applestar
Mod

I prefer the toothpick method — two on either side of the stem. Sometimes I use bamboo skewers if the seedlings needs a light support.

Sometimes when slugs are bad, they hide in the cardboard collar.... :evil:

SLC

If the stem size is a little bigger than a pencil, is that big enough so that the cutworm can't get around it?

SLC

UPDATE: Well, I guess those darn cutworms will chew through stems that ARE the size of a pencil or a little bigger even. I lost 3 broccoli plants last night. :( And I only have 16 plants.

One of them is totally cut all the way through - the 2 that are slightly bigger than a pencil were only cut half way through and I hope they can still make it. I put the velcro plant tape around the small stems hoping that will stop them. I can't believe it. I have NEVER had a problem with my broccoli before - just my peppers. So this year I took care of my peppers and tomatoes just in case, but left the broccoli alone. I guess I won't do that again. The broccoli that is like the size of my thumb weren't touched, so I'm assuming that's too big for those darn cutworms to get around.

You live and learn!

imafan26
Mod

They will chew through any size stem if it is young and not hardened off. The moth looks for a juicy seedling and lays its egg next to it so the worm does not have far to look. I prefer to use the collars on the stems. 3 oz paper cups with the bottom cut out, and toilet paper rolls have worked. I have not had to use protection for a long time since the lizards do a good job of patrolling and they love worms.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”