Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Best pot size for peppers in greenhouse?

Most of my sweet peppers are planted out but I have a few seedlings left in soil blocks and I want to try growing them in my small greenhouse. Space is limited so I want to give them adequate pot size but not more than they need. Any information would be welcome.

They'll have to be hand watered so will go on holiday with us :) - luckily no air travel or borders to cross; but they'll be outdoors, and cooler, for a couple of weeks - any concerns about that or bringing them back to the hot greenhouse? We've taken plants on vacation before - young tomatoes - when tenting but camping days are over as of last year. This time we'll be in a cottage which will be both nicer and not so nice :? .

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. My peppers are in pots that are square and about 3 - 4.5 gallons, but that's not necessarily ideal; it's just what I happen to use. I am also very limited for space, and I want to maximize it.

Looks like this (back row = tomatoes):
2018-05-24.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Those pots are bigger than mine. I usually up pot to 1 gallon until they flower or sometimes when the first peppers are produced before I move them to the garden or to bigger pots. For long lived peppers I put them in 18 gallon pots but 4 gallons should be enough for up to 4 years. They are very heavy feeders.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Thanks kayjay & imafan.

I thought I wasn't going to get replies so went ahead and potted up the baby peppers. Don't laugh but my pots are much smaller than either of yours - two are 6"dia x 6.75 deep. Another is not as deep, more like 5" (I had 4 seedlings but one keeled over.) My 'main' peppers are out in the garden beds and these are an experiment with greenhouse growing of leftovers so I'll let them go for now; can always give one or more of them bigger containers if they do well.

By the way pot sizes by number or gallon size seem to have real dimensions all over the map; I'm not sure what's meant by a gallon container.

kayjay
Green Thumb

I converted mine by measuring them. LxWxH, then convert the volume in cubic inches or cm into gallons. Google makes it easy. :)

imafan26
Mod

The volumes of the "gallon" can be smaller depending on how much they are filled. A gallon pot is a no 1 blow mold nursery pot. If I am limited on space I up pot to the no. 2 pots which is commonly referred to as a 2 gallon pot. I can keep the smaller peppers in that size for a long time as long as it gets water and fertilizer.

https://www.sprigsandtwigs.net/docs/ask/133.pdf
https://www.nurserysupplies.com/traditio ... assic-line

I use mostly the no 1, no 2, and egg cans. I use 6 inch pots for some herbs and I will sometimes wire them for hanging baskets. For big plants like tomatoes, large long lived peppers, eggplant, and citrus trees I like to use a 14 inch pot minimum but an 18 gallon pot is preferred. I use rope handle muck buckets for the 18 gallon pots. They do get brittle after about 3-4 years but will last if you don't try to move them. I usually break them with my pick trying to get the soil out. I do have a couple of 25 gallon tree pots that I bought from a local nursery. I use one of them for edible ginger. The other, I haven't planted yet. I picked up some large resin pots from Costco and I haven't decided what to put in them either, but it will probably be a rose, citrus, or the persimmon. Pots are not as thick as they used to be so I will have to kill a couple of the citrus trees that have broken out. They did not break out as easily from the thicker older pots.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”