pointer80

Anyone know what causes this or is it normal?

I have some squash and cucumbers under my grow lights and noticed these leaves and was wondering if this is normal and if not what causes it? Most of my plants look fine as you can see in the one picture but some leaves look strange. Thanks all.
Attachments
IMG_4168.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4166.JPG
IMG_4164.JPG

applestar
Mod

Although you CAN get a jump on the season by starting cucumber and squash under lights, they are tricky because they are sensitive to root disturbance and being pot bound. I think your biggest leaved starts are getting too big. Are they the ones exhibiting the stunted new leaf? At this point, if you can plant them out immediately, they might still recover as long as you are able to manage it without damaging the roots. But often they may be too far gone and will be slow to recover, making it a better choice to simply sow seeds directly in the ground or start new set of seedlings. The new ones will outpace the old ones.

Usually you only want to start the seeds about 4 weeks before planting out, and plant when first true leaf is fully opened and 2nd one is just starting to grow.

If the weather is still not conducive to planting out, another option is to uppot the ones that have not stunted yet... IF you have room under the lights, but start new seeds or sow in the ground as back up for sure. Couple way to speed them along — pre-germinate, use cloche (cut off gallon jugs ) over where the seeds are sown in the ground. Leave lid off on sunny days, cover if frost threatens or is very cold like mid 40’s or below. I’ve tried all of these methods.

If days are warm enough, definitely start hardening them off.

Oh one other way to keep them going just a little longer — put a 1/2”-1” later of fresh potting mix blended with some sand in the drip tray for the overgrown seedlings.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

To ease the stress for some of these difficult-to-transplant ones:

Soak the soil in the containers thoroughly. They can be drippy wet and sort of "splash" into a hole and their new home in the garden.

Driving a short stake near the transplant and tenting it and the stake with newspaper can protect the plant when it hasn't had much time to harden off. Soil gathered around the newspaper should hold it in place. Some folks think of "hardening-off" as having solely to do with the cold but strong sunlight can destroy plants that have never had that exposure to the sun.

Steve

pointer80

applestar wrote:Although you CAN get a jump on the season by starting cucumber and squash under lights, they are tricky because they are sensitive to root disturbance and being pot bound. I think your biggest leaved starts are getting too big. Are they the ones exhibiting the stunted new leaf? At this point, if you can plant them out immediately, they might still recover as long as you are able to manage it without damaging the roots. But often they may be too far gone and will be slow to recover, making it a better choice to simply sow seeds directly in the ground or start new set of seedlings. The new ones will outpace the old ones.

Usually you only want to start the seeds about 4 weeks before planting out, and plant when first true leaf is fully opened and 2nd one is just starting to grow.

If the weather is still not conducive to planting out, another option is to uppot the ones that have not stunted yet... IF you have room under the lights, but start new seeds or sow in the ground as back up for sure. Couple way to speed them along — pre-germinate, use cloche (cut off gallon jugs ) over where the seeds are sown in the ground. Leave lid off on sunny days, cover if frost threatens or is very cold like mid 40’s or below. I’ve tried all of these methods.

If days are warm enough, definitely start hardening them off.

Oh one other way to keep them going just a little longer — put a 1/2”-1” later of fresh potting mix blended with some sand in the drip tray for the overgrown seedlings.
The shriveled leafs are not on the biggest ones, more the ones that sprouted later

applestar
Mod

In that case, have you tried lifting the pots up out of the drip trays? Are roots extending out? The later ones may be being suppressed by the big ones. — Sometimes when you direct sow several to a “hill”, there is the first rush of sprouting seeds — lets Say 3 out of 5 ... they grow well and then a week later, other seeds may pop. But they never thrive and sometimes get stunted like that while the first three grow lush and you end up needing to thin.

...I call that ‘the big kids being bullies” and this often happens with tomato seedlings in a community pot as well.

Try to provide as full/complete description of what’s happening as possible/as you can, otherwise, I end up going on a mental wild goose chase. :roll:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Instead of geese ..

. aphids on the underside of the leaves?

. spider mites?

Steve

pointer80

applestar wrote:In that case, have you tried lifting the pots up out of the drip trays? Are roots extending out? The later ones may be being suppressed by the big ones. — Sometimes when you direct sow several to a “hill”, there is the first rush of sprouting seeds — lets Say 3 out of 5 ... they grow well and then a week later, other seeds may pop. But they never thrive and sometimes get stunted like that while the first three grow lush and you end up needing to thin.

...I call that ‘the big kids being bullies” and this often happens with tomato seedlings in a community pot as well.

Try to provide as full/complete description of what’s happening as possible/as you can, otherwise, I end up going on a mental wild goose chase. :roll:
I haven't noticed any roots coming out of the bottom. I have plenty so hopefully I will have enough

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”