jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Squash Patch

A little squash patch can produce a lot of food!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So how little is "little"? I'm guessing it is pretty big relative to us suburban gardeners. .... :D

applestar
Mod

I just LOVE this photo. :-()

The abundance ... the mountains and big blue sky .. how happy you look ... all of it.

I also remember this is the year you ended up with those Pink Banana x Hubbard squash cross fruits and you said they turned out to be very tasty. 8)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

In my seed box tucked away I found some seed from that Pink Banana x Hubbard squash cross. So I planted some. Don't know if it will grow, it is a few years old.

imafan26
Mod

I love the picture too. I think my entire yard could probably fit inside of your squash patch. I grew one Tahitian squash and it tried to take over half my yard and the neighbor's too. I grew a gourd on a fence a couple of years ago and it was 50 ft long and kept trying to grow across the garden gate.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Squash is fun to grow like everything else in my garden. I think high TN humidity is what kills my squash we get about 6 zucchini from each plant then plants get stem rot and die. I plant 1 squash seed about every 3 weeks all summer to keep squash coming as other plants die. I like yellow crook neck squash but did not buy seeds this year but I still might. When weather gets hotter & dryer I think plants do better. I planted spaghetti squash & acorn squash it rained non stop for a month I guess seeds rotted in the swamp. I planted again no rain for 3 weeks seeds never came up. Oh well we don't eat much squash anyway, zucchini bread sure is good & so is sliced squash with onions & garlic. Oven baked spaghetti squash with pizza sauce & meat is our favorite.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

You got more zucchini than I did. All of mine were stung by fruit flies.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”