pointer80

Can I put these outside or wait for true leaves?

Hello, I have question about putting my seed starts outside, I have cuk's, squash,basil, and sunflowers under lights but they do not have true leaves and was wondering when to start putting them outside? Should I wait until they get true leaves? Thanks.

applestar
Mod

The seedleaves are more resilient than true leaves when it comes to sun and elements. You do need to give them a bit of a break the first day — don’t put them directly in the noon day sun, but they will quickly adapt. Rain and cool-cold temps are what you want to avoid. Sunflower and squash are hardier to cooler temps low 50’s than the cukes and basils.

Once outside, though, they are subject to attention from pests.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would say, start putting them out for a few hours late afternoon then increase the time over a week. For sure do not put plants that have grown indoors out directly into noon day sunshine.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If by putting them outside, you mean start hardening them off gradually and you have a protected situation for them, OK.

If by putting them outside, you mean planting them in the ground or pot where they will stay, then no.

The reason that people start seedlings indoors in the first place, vs just planting in the ground, is that the seeds and little seedlings are so fragile and vulnerable. A seedling that small has hardly any root system. So it can not be allowed to dry out. But little seedlings are also sensitive to over watering. They are very tender and attractive to pests and one bite out of a leaf can be enough to kill it at that point. It is much easier to keep perfect conditions and keep babying your babies, if you keep them indoors a bit longer.

Planting in the ground, people plant a whole bunch of seeds to make sure that some of the seeds/ seedlings survive. If you have a limited number of seedlings that you have started indoors, you want to keep them protected until they are more able to fend for themselves. I like to grow sturdy little plants that have several pairs of true leaves and are six inches high or so and then put them in the ground.

Also note, those are all summer crops. The cukes and squash particularly really need the soil to be well warmed up before they go in it. Soil temperature an inch or so below the surface should be 70 degrees.

pointer80

rainbowgardener wrote:If by putting them outside, you mean start hardening them off gradually and you have a protected situation for them, OK.

If by putting them outside, you mean planting them in the ground or pot where they will stay, then no.

The reason that people start seedlings indoors in the first place, vs just planting in the ground, is that the seeds and little seedlings are so fragile and vulnerable. A seedling that small has hardly any root system. So it can not be allowed to dry out. But little seedlings are also sensitive to over watering. They are very tender and attractive to pests and one bite out of a leaf can be enough to kill it at that point. It is much easier to keep perfect conditions and keep babying your babies, if you keep them indoors a bit longer.

Planting in the ground, people plant a whole bunch of seeds to make sure that some of the seeds/ seedlings survive. If you have a limited number of seedlings that you have started indoors, you want to keep them protected until they are more able to fend for themselves. I like to grow sturdy little plants that have several pairs of true leaves and are six inches high or so and then put them in the ground.

Also note, those are all summer crops. The cukes and squash particularly really need the soil to be well warmed up before they go in it. Soil temperature an inch or so below the surface should be 70 degrees.
Thanks I was referring to just setting the seed trays outside on nice days and bringing them in at night.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I do as mother nature does. If I plant seeds directly in the garden new plants get full sun all day the first day of their life, wind, rain, everything mother nature has to offer. If I plant seeds in cups or trays soon at tiny plants are visible they go outside every morning in full sun all day soon as temperature warms up to 35 degrees then later in the evening plants come into the house before temperature drops to 35 degrees. It usually warms up to 60 or 65 during the day and plants do good. If it never warms up more that 45 or 50 plants harden off but do not grow very much.

pointer80

Thanks for the reply everyone. As always very helpful

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”