pointer80

what to look for when hardening plants off?

Hello all, I have been hardening off my veggie plants and they are up to a hour at a time out in the sun and seemed to be doing good with no ill-effects that I can see other than a little droopiness which I am assuming is normal considering my plants do that when planted in the dirt on hot sunny days. They perk back up when I bring them in. But I was wondering what signs should someone look for while hardening off plants to make sure they are doing ok? Thanks all.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. I think you're fine to just keep doing what you're doing. I don't think there are any signs unless you forget about them, and/or maybe don't pay attention to extremes in the weather. Make sure you know what the minimum night time temps are for your plants, watch the weather carefully, and you're probably fine.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My seeds germinate in about 3 days when I see a plant no matter how small it is it goes outside every morning all day in full sun, wind, rain, etc, all weather conditions except freezing weather and frost then plants come inside the house when sun is going down. Real weather & sun is what hardens the plants. Plants will be short, strong with deep dark green color then leaves will fill out and grow larger.

Keep doing what your doing plants in sun all day every day. Keep a fan blowing on plants inside the house this helps prevent stem rot. Keep soil moist water from bottom seems to work best. Keep putting plants outside every morning when it is warm enough then bring them inside before it gets too cold.

What part of MI are you in? We will be in Cadillac, Gaylord, Mackinaw City in June I know last frost was June 6 last year it was nice camping weather at Wilderness State Park on the beach of the Great Lakes & UP.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"up to an hour" of sun a day? Suggests you are being very cautious. Most people, I think, would start with an hour a day.

Gary is right that if you keep plants out in the sun/weather from the beginning, they don't need hardening off, but there are other risks to that.

I don't harden by time anyway, but by exposure. My seedlings go out all day from when I first put them out. But they start by being in a very protected spot away from wind and with NO direct sun (like under a bench). Gradually, I bring them out to less and less protected locations.

pointer80

Gary350 wrote:My seeds germinate in about 3 days when I see a plant no matter how small it is it goes outside every morning all day in full sun, wind, rain, etc, all weather conditions except freezing weather and frost then plants come inside the house when sun is going down. Real weather & sun is what hardens the plants. Plants will be short, strong with deep dark green color then leaves will fill out and grow larger.

Keep doing what your doing plants in sun all day every day. Keep a fan blowing on plants inside the house this helps prevent stem rot. Keep soil moist water from bottom seems to work best. Keep putting plants outside every morning when it is warm enough then bring them inside before it gets too cold.

What part of MI are you in? We will be in Cadillac, Gaylord, Mackinaw City in June I know last frost was June 6 last year it was nice camping weather at Wilderness State Park on the beach of the Great Lakes & UP.
I actually live about 35 miles straight south of Cadillac

pointer80

Thanks guy's

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”