pointer80

ok, now how to water everything

Well I am very thankful that my seedlings are all doing good and I have quite a few to share with friends and family and maybe even sell a few but now come the task of watering them all :eek: Any pointers to make that task a little easier would be appreciated. Thanks all
Attachments
IMG_3992.JPG
IMG_3993.JPG
IMG_3990.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Put them all in trays then pour a little water in to the bottom of the tray, just enough so the water touches the bottom of the pots and the soil can wick it up.

Very easy and the best way to water. Check the next morning. If there is still water in the tray, don't add more. If it is dry, add water to reach the bottom of the pots again.

pointer80

rainbowgardener wrote:Put them all in trays then pour a little water in to the bottom of the tray, just enough so the water touches the bottom of the pots and the soil can wick it up.

Very easy and the best way to water. Check the next morning. If there is still water in the tray, don't add more. If it is dry, add water to reach the bottom of the pots again.
I always bottom water I was just trying to find a easy way to water all of them

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

How much easier does it get than pouring a little water into the bottom of a tray? Depending on your tray size, you might be watering two dozen of them at once that way and it takes about 30 seconds per tray.

applestar
Mod

I think only way to make that “easier” would be to automate it — maybe “Ebb and flow” ... would require pumping water in and draining with bell or other type of siphon... or pumping out.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I used a child's swimming pool to water my plants once while we were going to Florida for a 9 day vacation. It needs to set on a flat surface. Put water in the pool you won't need to water it again for a while.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I bottom water all smaller/younger plants.

Leaving them in water overnight happens but it's not common and done only by accident.

Twenty minutes is about the minimum amount of time I give to soak a flat of containers in water just short of causing them to initially float. Not easiest ...

Steve

applestar
Mod

With a large tray/flat tub/container that “level” surface can become a serious problem. Nothin is level around here :roll:

I usually compensate by rotating so high and dry end is submerged, but this still means the pots in the middle tend to get less water. It’s a good idea to reorganize/rearrange once in a while — not Possible with single sheet connected flat of cells.

...in addition to heft-check, another -visual- check is to see if potting mix is pulling away from the side of the container (drying and contracting) and leaving a gap.

...also VERY helpful to use sand-grain sized diatomaceous earth — sold as autoshop oil absorber (Ultrasorb) — rinse Several times, then put on top of the mix. Tan/grey when wet, dries to nearly pure white when dry — great Visual indicator of surface dryness.

...I use turkey baster to apply small amounts of water to containers in the middle that needs it. Also good for draining overfull trays, but when in larger volume, it’s easier to use a tubing and siphon it — turkey baster again for 1/2” diameter tubing ... secure one end against bottom in the tray at deepest point, fill baster with water, push water in from other end and when you hear bubbling, suck the water back out, then trail the end down below tray in a bucket until all water is drained.

...I use a 1/4” air tubing and a plastic pipet for smaller amounts of water.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”