pointer80

minimum temp in greenhouse for peppers?

Hello everyone, I know this was covered to a degree in another thread but I don't know if minimum temp was mentioned. What would you say the lowest temp would be to leave peppers in greenhouse over night? Thanks.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think as long as you are above 32 degrees, the freezing point, they will do fine. Do you have any way to heat the greenhouse, and can you use a heater with a thermostat to make sure it doesn't freeze? How large is your greenhouse?

pointer80

jal_ut wrote:I think as long as you are above 32 degrees, the freezing point, they will do fine. Do you have any way to heat the greenhouse, and can you use a heater with a thermostat to make sure it doesn't freeze? How large is your greenhouse?
I just have a cheap plastic greenhouse that I have been using in my workshop for my seedlings. My workshop stays above 42 degrees so I put a little milk house heater in it but didn't want to keep running it if I could help it. The temps are suppose to be in the mid 40's and higher for lows but we might have a day or two in the high 30's mixed in.
Attachments
IMG_3879.JPG

applestar
Mod

I like to keep my pepper seedlings in the mid-50’s at minimum ... and tomatoes are allowed to dip down in mid-40’s ... but only for 3-5 hours with warmer temps in the 60’s+ immediately following to help them recover.

pointer80

how much warmer if any will a un-heated plastic greenhouse stay above outside temperature?

applestar
Mod

No way to tell from here. I have a base unit in the house that wirelessly receives from 3 remote sensors and keeps 24 hr max/min temp and humidity. Currently they are in the garage on one of the growing area shelves, out in open on the patio table, and in one of the picnic table tomato seedling tubs.

applestar
Mod

ThermoPro TP60 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Outdoor Thermometer Humidity Monitor with Temperature Gauge Humidity Meter, Wireless Outdoor Hygrometer, 200ft/60m Range
Link: https://a.co/jbznbQ4

Additional sensors
ThermoPro TPR60 Fitting Rainproof Transmitter for ThermoPro TP60 Thermometer Humidity Monitor, Battery included,(Accessory Only, Can NOT Be Used Alone)
Link: https://a.co/eQzgnqL

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Plastic film isn't much insulation.

I have a 180 square foot greenhouse. It has an conveniently framed and insulated north wall and roof. Insulation board with aluminum foil facing serves as interior sheeting on that wall and roof. So, sunlight is reflected back into the interior. The south wall and part of the east and west walls are UV-resistant plastic film.

Several years ago, and before I turned on the natural gas furnace out there, I kept track of the temperatures in the greenhouse. It was only 3 to 6 degrees above outdoor temperatures each morning.

The furnace is on now and has been on for about 6 weeks. But, I have the usual garden vegetable and ornamental plants, each has its own optimal conditions. I can't meet them all. Nothing is in the open garden yet but not all of the plants are still in the heated greenhouse.

Steve

wisconsindead

jal_ut wrote:I think as long as you are above 32 degrees, the freezing point, they will do fine. Do you have any way to heat the greenhouse, and can you use a heater with a thermostat to make sure it doesn't freeze? How large is your greenhouse?
Do you actually plant peppers and tomatoes and let them get to temps in the 30's? I have never seen anyone suggest this before. It seems common knowledge that these types of plants start to suffer damage below 50 degrees.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”