pointer80

Hardening off plant schedule?

Hello all, I was wondering what is everyone's routine for hardening off plants. What I mean is how long do you put them out for the first time in the sun. and then how often after that. Also do you put them in full sun or partial sun the first time? Thanks all.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I do what I call a "sink or swim" period.
I check the 10 day forecast and if the weather looks to be above 40 I'll put the plants outside for a week or so
I then try to plant on a cloudy day which I didn't do this year.
This year I planted a bit too early, I lost a couple plants and a few we're beat up pretty bad but are starting to come back now.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

About a week before anticipated planting if the weather seems like it will be at least in the 60s daytime, tomatoes are brought outside and placed in dappled shade during the daytime. Then at night they are taken into an unheated garage or inside if the nighttime temps are in the low 40s F. I try to keep the tender plants out of the wind and direct sun for several days. After that part sun and part shade fro a few more days. After a week, if the weather and soil temperature co-operate they all get planted.

For me, there are about ten more days to normal planting time, but the forecast says maybe two weeks to go for warm enough temperatures. I always keep a back-up plant of each variety just in case.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just started hardening off my tomatoes. I put them out for just a few hours in direct sun, and increase daily. And I watch for wind - something that can be detrimental, though today it was a gentle breeze all day. I saw the extended forecast showed the last two days of April will be in the 40s, but not a single low in May will get in the 40s, and we will be getting weather warm enough for peppers, though they won't go out anytime soon, as they are more sensitive to soil temp.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Never put them out for the first time directly into full sun, not even for a couple hours.

My routine for hardening off I developed when I was working full time and couldn't be running home to move plants after a few hours in the sun. So I don't change the number of hours, I change the intensity of the exposure. When I first bring plants out, I put them in a very protected spot, with no direct sun and protected from wind. One way I did that was putting them under a bench, but any protected spot where they get ambient light but not direct sun will do. They stay out all day, but come back in at night at first, especially if the nights are still cold.

After they have gotten used to that exposure, I bring them out to some spot where they get just a couple hours of morning sun or very dappled sun under a tree. Every 2-3 days I move them to a less protected, more exposed spot.

pointer80

Thank you

applestar
Mod

My seedlings are typically moved out from growing areas in the house — relatively constant comfortable room temp under lights with additional heat as necessary, to the garage growing area — not Insulated cooler conditions, then outside where some are put on patio table — slightly dappled Morning sun, a couple to few hours direct sun, then house shadow from early afternoon on... or picnic table under currently bare branched mulberry tree with denser dappled morning to late morning sun then direct sunlight until sunset.

Since the garage is on the other side of the house and difficult to carry plants in-out, and with this year’s changeable cold temps, I’ve gone back to using translucent storage tubs for all of the warm-weathers.

These have white lids — I wanted the ones with translucent lids/clear middle zone, but they weren’t available in the size I needed. Each fits one tray plus a few loose drink cups or divided cell pack used to uppot for convenience. I’m using those shoe storage racks to cast additional moving lattice pattern shade.

Iffy nights or rain forecast, I can put the lids on. Seriously iffy temp forecast, I put the lids on and cover with garden fleece. They can also be moved to the patio where it’s sheltered and 4-5 degrees warmer. Sunrise shade is important if you don’t want to run out and remove lids at sun up — direct sun will quickly overheat them if lid is left tightly on. If absolutely needed, they can be moved inside for the night.

They can also be placed on the ground without ground contact and insulated from chill as well as from casual first encounter with bunnies and other wildlife since they would be somewhat cautious about approaching them at first.

They spent their first week out like this — with moderated temps and increased hardiness, they will be moved out of the tubs to acclimate fully to moving air and sun, rain, etc.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. I do pretty much what Applestar does, except I don't have a garage. It's either in or out. The Rubbermaid tubs are my best friend.

My work schedule can be all over the place so I wing it. Previous springs, I've been laid off, so it's easy. I keep a close eye on the temperature. I'll start with an hour or two outside in filtered sunlight and expand it from there. If in doubt, I leave them inside. This spring, I'll be working 5:30 am - 1:00 pm, so I'll probably bring them out on nice afternoons for a few hours, to start. Around the time to plant them out (late May) I'll leave them out overnight a few times as long as the temp is warm enough.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”