pointer80

best mix to up pot?

Hello all, Just wondering what is the best mix to use when up potting my seedlings? Also should I add anything? Thanks

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Since I use a regular soilless mix potting soil to start seeds, when it is time to re-pot or pot-up I use the same mix. This year it was Miracle-Gro with fertilizer added. The fertilizer is very small amount and does not damage seedlings. When the regular without fertilizer soilless mix is used I add a little plant food, (the blue powder that mixes into water) in a weak solution, to the water once or twice after pot-up. If everything looks healthy omit the plant food in the water.

kayjay
Green Thumb

Hi. The last few years, I've used Miracle Gro seed starting mix like PaulF, and my results were fine. I'm using a similar one this year, Jiffy brand. Same idea - seed starting mix with just tiny amounts of fertilizer. I'm doing tomatoes and peppers so I added some more fertilizer after the second set of true leaves appeared (before up-potting). Just a weak amount - not as strong as what's on the label. The plants look good and healthy after up-potting.

(ETA) After up-potting, I try to leave them alone for a while. No light for 8 hrs, just some water, and let them get over the shock. I'd wait until they bounce back before fertilizing.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If you would like to mix your own, the National Center for Appropriate Technology has a good number of recipes (scroll down more than half way for the recipes):

Potting Mixes, Organic

I use one of these for perennials each year so as to make good use of my compost and left-over peat moss from storing dahlias through the winter.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Potting mixes use such things as: aged bark (or composted forest products. sawdust, shavings), perlite, vermiculite, lime, sphagnum peat moss. Guess you can buy a bag of something at Wally World or mix up something on your own? Have fun!

applestar
Mod

This year, I’m trying Coast of Maine Bar Harbor blend, 2 cu.ft. bags ordered shipped to store from TruValue. So far very good results, though it seemed a bit heavy for initial starts/seedlings — compensated with vermiculite on top, then sand grain DE for first uppot.

I’d love to try the Penobscot blend, but haven’t found good price for those.

pointer80

Thanks a lot guy's. Very helpful as always

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”