Keen101
Newly Registered

Watermelon 2018 planted :)

The peach tree was blooming today. And since today was a nice warm day with it now slightly overcast with moisture in the air and feeling like rain tonight i decided to plant the watermelons. So the main patch of watermelons is now planted. A bit haphazardly but whatever. Felt good to plant them. Snow is supposed to come Saturday and night temps get below freezing so hopefully we will still get peaches this year.

Even if the worst were to happen with the watermelons and all of them died i still have the best and selected seed from last year so I'm good. This is the old seed from two seasons ago that still needs some selection to continue to remove more that are prone to fruit blossom end rot or other traits. Mixed in some yellow-rind seeds so perhaps i can re-introduce that trait to the landrace. Even better if it crossed with a well adapted yellow fleshed. Yellow flesh and yellow-rind would be pretty cool. But i think yellow-rind is a recessive trait so might be hard to find it again except by chance several seasons from now. I expect a higher percentage of red flesh in this batch of seeds than from saved seed from last year.

But I'm optimistic. Can't push watermelon to love cooler weather without starting somewhere. I plan on planting two smaller patches of the citron-melon hybrids later. Not sure when, maybe a few weeks, maybe wait until early May. Whatever feels best.

p.s. the peas are doing great :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Watermelon 2018 planted :)

Hmmmm, you may be pushing the envelope? Here about third week of May is watermelon planting time. Good luck.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/- Plant a Garden

Keen101
Newly Registered

Re: Watermelon 2018 planted :)

Thanks. It'll be fine. I planted way to early last year too. I partly get away with it because i direct seeded without watering so they sprout when they want to. Some sprout early and die if snow comes, some sprout early and survive, and some sprout after the snow. That's what happened last year. But i have backup and better seed saved so even if they all died im ok.

Here the first week in May is watermelon planting time. We usually get a rain/snow storm on May 10th. May 20th is the traditional last day of our spring frosts but we rarely get anything that late anymore.