ZachBoyer

Standing Garden - Plants getting destroyed

Our standing garden plants have started to take a turn for the worse. We are starting to get holes in our plants and bites, but I don't see anything on them, ever. We are in North central florida.

The tomatoes are being hit hard, but now I'm seeing damage (holes and such) to other plants such as the bell peppers.

I did spray some 3 in 1 (insect, mite and disease) that was given to me on them yesterday. But today the bell peppers have had a bite taken out of them.

Potatoes, carrots, lettuce, and others in the garden have not been affected,yet.
Attachments
Cherry Tomato
Cherry Tomato
Bell Pepper
Bell Pepper
Tomato
Tomato
Tomato
Tomato

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I know this may sound tedious, but it's best to get out at night with a flashlight and check the plants, especially the underside of the leaves to see if you can find the culprit. That way you can identify what is doing this. As small as those plants are, it really won't take much to destroy them, especially if cutworms get to attacking them like they did my bean plants a month ago. They cut many of them down to the ground overnight and I had to replant.

ZachBoyer

I checked at 6 this morning while it was still dark and saw nothing.

I will check again tonight

applestar
Mod

My first suspicion is always slugs — in this case baby slugs that would be no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch and would roll up into size of a bb shot.when not stretched out. You could try putting sharp sand or agricultural/horticultural grade diatomaceous earth powder at the base of the seedlings to make it difficult for them to crawl.

...also — are those yellow pellet-like things fertilizer? I would be concerned that they would burn the tender seedling roots.

...and while I’m commenting, it looks very “mulchy” with large bits of wood. Is that from bagged soil or did you actually lay down mulch? I would be concerned that when dug-in, the woody pices will tie up nitrogen.

ZachBoyer

Yes it is shake n feed, slow release 3 month stuff. I hit everything with a liquid fertilizer about 3 weeks ago and put this stuff down about a week ago. I tested the soil and everything was extremely low.

The mulch came in a bag of top soil bought from the store. I wasn't very happy how mulchy it was either.

I did have a fungus gnat problem I believe, as far as I can tell that problem is over.

I will do more investigating in the garden to see if I can find some more critters.

Appreciate the help and insight, this is a first garden for us. So its all a learning curve.

ZachBoyer

I took some additional photos when I got home that are alittle clearer than the last ones. Tonight I will be on insect patrol.

The fungus gnats have arrived again with all the rain we just had, I have read about diatomaceous earth powder and cinnamon to control them but I have worms in my garden that I don't want to kill. Ive read the powder will shred them up and the cinnamon straight up kills them. I have read about using a hydrogen peroxide mix, but I'm not sure if it will harm my worms, so I have alittle more research to do. Anyways pictures below.
Attachments
Tomato
Tomato
Cucumber
Cucumber
Potato
Potato

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

""Diatomaceous Earth will not harm warm-blooded animals or earthworms. Earthworm farmers use it to treat their worm beds for parasites, fungus gnat larva etc. Earth worms are structurally different from insects in that they can actually digest particles of DE. The particles are then eliminated in their castings." https://gardening.stackexchange.com/que ... -my-garden

Personally, the only place where fungus gnats have been a problem is in my seed starting operation, because seeds have to be kept damp all the time. In the garden and in established house plants, I just let them dry out between waterings; fungus gnats can't tolerate drying out. I do not think the fungus gnats are responsible for the little holes in your plants. The fungus gnat larvae are the main problem, because they are in the soil. Along with fungus and other organic components of the soil, they also eat plant roots, especially the tender roots of young plants. The adult fungus gnat mainly eats flower nectar.

I think your most likely culprit is flea beetles or some other small insect pest.

ZachBoyer

Appreciate the insight, if I am still having a problem after drying out the top I will get some DE...

I did see very very small, this is going to be a horrible description so bare with me, white almost tick or cockroach looking things crawling around. I saw 3 of them. I mean so small and constantly quick moving that I could barely make out their structure. This was after I was digging around in the soil alittle.

applestar
Mod

Peroxide hurts the earthworms ...or at least they writhe and thrash as if in pain, even diluted.

Fungus gnat larvae May be a problem for slow-root growing seedlings like peppers...probably not so much for tomatoes, but they can be controlled with mosquito-bits infused water. I’ve recently discovered spraying flying adults and where they will land in addition to soil-drenching has good effect.

New photos with regular round photos do point to fleabeetles — slugs make irregular shaped holes.

ZachBoyer

Well my check last night and this morning didn’t reveal anything. I mean I do see some black specs which I believe is dirt splash up from our rains. They’re not moving and about half (or more) the size of an ant.

My DE will be here Friday, how much should I put down around the plants?

applestar
Mod

DE will harm honeybees, spiders, and predatory insects, too. So keep that in mind. I like use long handled spoon — like Ice tea spoon and put down just maybe 1/2 teaspoon at the base of the stem, then use less harmful sand or crushed eggshells in a wider circle against slugs.

When sprinkling/dusting on leaves, I use/recycle a bigger spice container (like cinnamon) with shaker lid, and also keep a small spice jar in my pocket for spot use. Plastic squeeze/condiment bottle (like for ketchup and mustard) works well for “puff” of dust, too, especially ones with thin skinny nozzle. Misting first, then dusting will put the dust on the leaves and will be effective once dry.

Another useful item to carry around is a bowl or pint size deli container (like cattage cheese or sour cream) of soap sudsy water and a pair of disposable bamboo chopsticks (or a hemostat — according to one member in medical field). Catch and drop in the soapy water to kill — if you use soap, then the dead bug soup can be poured into the compost. Pair of gloves if you are squeamish.

Make up or buy ant bait/poison and put down on the outside of the raised bed at ground level (put INSIDE secure container with tiny entrance for the ants if you have pets or small children who might mess with it).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Also I don't know if you started those from seed yourself, if it was seed in the ground or under lights.... but I usually would not stick seedlings that tiny in the ground. I grow them in pots until they are at least double that size, often more. When they are bigger and sturdier, they are much more resistant to whatever pests are around. The tiny ones like yours can easily get killed by an insect attack. Bigger plants can have holes in them and not mind very much.

ZachBoyer

Great help, thank you guys. We planted everything inside pots (as backup) and in the bed. We got a late start on everything but it seems to be working out mostly...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”