Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Re: Mid-April vegetables

Thanks, applestar.

I'll assume my kale is biennial, & let it make seed. Meantime those fresh green baby leaves are very tasty.

Here's another late-sprouter: the discarded cut-off top of a rutabaga that decided it's not done yet. I'll plant it in soil and see what comes of it.
Swede.JPG

Brettmm92

a lot of information but I definitely think it's for much larger commercial projects than I'd undertake. I'll bookmark the site though

DigitS, I have the same problem about trying to find a clear 6 mil. I bought a big ole roll from ace hardware of "clear constuction plastic" (polyethelyne) and was very dissapointed in how opague it was. I'll be sure to check out that site after I type this. But I recently talked to a local nursery and was advised to check amazon for uv coated 6 mil material and after a quick search it seems like they have plenty but it isn't cheap.

Vanisle, Wow, that is very interesting. Do you happen to have redwoods over there? And do you mean that you seldom get hard frost in the winter? Those are some beautiful pictures, did you pick at that kale for so long it grew a base that thick or is it something else?

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Sorry, I seem to have double-posted here. Crazy computer! :) Couldn't find a way to delete this one.
applestar wrote:There are varieties of kale that are considered perennial — like “Good King Henry” and “sea kale” and “tree kale”. But generally speaking, I believe kale is a BIENNIAL.
Thanks applestar. I'll let it keep growing to make seed. Meantime the young leaves are very tasty. You're right; we seldom get really severe freezes. This winter only light frosts (so far!)

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Brettmm; No indigenous redwoods here, I believe; why do you ask? There are a couple of planted(?) Sequoia(?) in town. Is that the same tree? W. Red Cedar grow like weeds here.

It's been years since we had what I'd call a hard frost - I.e. ground frozen too deep to harvest root crops. The "dwarf" kale in my picture just grew that stocky without any help from me. I only once grew the full-size variety. Takes up too much space for my liking, and produces more than 2 old folks can eat.

I'm surprised that people are concerned about the transparency of construction-grade poly. It's definitely not clear but I've assumed the light level under it is quite adequate; never noticed plants struggling with it. Then again I only use my greenhouse for raising transplants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cool weather crops: Lettuce, onions, spinach, broccoli, peas, carrot, radish, chard. Warm weather plants: corn, beans, squash, cucumber. At this location the early crops can usually be planted in April. The warm weather crops mid May to June first. Have fun!

Brettmm92

Vanisle, after a google search, those sequoias look similar. As a young boy watching discovery channel (when they had real documentaries instead of just reality shows about people working) I was always fascinated about the redwoods. Especially how each branch had it's own thriving ecosystem based on decomposing foliage that fell from previous years. And good to hear about your success with construction poly as that is exactly how I plan to use my makeshift greenhouse. Just about to hinge the door and call it done.
Jal, thanks, peas are definitely something I've been missing

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Brett, this is the tree I was guessing as Sequoia. Am I wrong? It's certainly a baby compared to the Redwoods in Oregon/Washington. But when you're in among them you can't see their shape so I haven't a clue!

Sorry, I still can't stop the pic from lying on its side (the original is upright.)
Poss.Sequoia.JPG
Enjoy your greenhouse. Mine has been makeshift for over a decade with occasional re-covering. One of these days (?) I'll make something more permanent. Maybe even without using plastic.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I hope it was okay to do this, Vanisle_BC?
Vancouver Island.JPG
Originally from northern California, I returned to live for a few years in Arcata. Wonderful forests ...

Steve

Brettmm92

Vanisle, that tree sure is impressive. And I wish I could tell you what it is. I am far from a tree expert, just interested in the natural wonders. After googling sequoia again, I'd say it looks similar but all asians, ahem, I mean trees look alike to me ;) And it is impressive, the closest thing I've seen to a tree that big is an antennae in my area that it looks like they (very poorly and almost humorously) attempted to make it look like a tree.

And as far as my very simple greenhouse, I have noticed impressive results. I have tomatoes that germinated in 8 days (which was labeled as the earliest time on the package for indoor and far ahead of outdoor estimates).

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”