Gary350
Super Green Thumb

FREE Tomato stakes, Bean Poles,Garden Stakes,

I got these scrap hard wood pieces at a local cabinet shop. There are many different kinds of hard woods in piles waiting for someone to haul them away. Anyone that wants them can have them all you need is a 12 ft long trailer they will load your trailer with a fork lift.

So far I have pulled out 120 pieces 3/4"x3/4" to be cut 7 ft long. I have 100 pieces 3/4"x5/8" to be cut 5 ft long. ! have 100 pieces 3/4"x1/2" to be cut 4 ft long. I can use these for, tomato stakes, pea stakes, garden row marker stakes, etc. Most of this wood is 10 & 12 feet long. What I don't use will be burned in the BBQ grill & camping after I cut it into smaller pieces. There are about 50 more piles of this free wood to be hauled away at the cabinet shop. I have 1 bundle of wood on my trailer it probably weights 500 lbs.

Check your local cabinet shops in the town where you live for scrap wood pieces.
Attachments
29749449_10213708165372647_9140048903351158385_o.jpg
100_9480.JPG
100_9481.JPG
100_9482.JPG
100_9484.JPG

applestar
Mod

Fantastic! — and thanks for reminding me, there’s a small place — not as big as the one you went to — near here that only uses Douglas fir and you can pick out of their dumpster as well. The also sell giant drum size trash bags full of clean Douglas fir shavings for only $3 each which is great for mulching with. I should go look.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Fantastic! — and thanks for reminding me, there’s a small place — not as big as the one you went to — near here that only uses Douglas fir and you can pick out of their dumpster as well. The also sell giant drum size trash bags full of clean Douglas fir shavings for only $3 each which is great for mulching with. I should go look.

Be careful with wood shavings. I added a bunch to my compost pile that I managed to accumulate a few years ago when I was building a lot of stuff in my home woodworking shop. One day I decided to go out and give the pile a good turn and it was loaded with termites on one end.

I wound up taking my 80 quart seafood boiling pot and heating water to a boil and dumping several of them over the area as I dug deep into the ground. That did the trick, but I'll not use wood shavings again just for that reason. But New Orleans is lousy with termites, both subterranean and Formosan varieties. The Formosan are particularly bad with a very voracious appetite and they can eat wood much faster than subterranean types.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice haul.

Java

applestar wrote:Fantastic! — and thanks for reminding me, there’s a small place — not as big as the one you went to — near here that only uses Douglas fir and you can pick out of their dumpster as well. The also sell giant drum size trash bags full of clean Douglas fir shavings for only $3 each which is great for mulching with. I should go look.
Applestar,
Have you looked if your city gives free mulch? my city gives out free mulch and compost. Only issue is you have to shovel and load them yourself. no machinery.

java.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Java wrote:
Applestar,
Have you looked if your city gives free mulch? my city gives out free mulch and compost. Only issue is you have to shovel and load them yourself. no machinery.

java.
Our country has free mulch. The city has trucks that drive around town picking up cut tree limbs, cut trees & bushes. They haul them to a processing center where it is ground up into tiny pieces. Bulldozers & loaders push it up into large 20 foot tall piles to age. When it is about 6 months old it is free to anyone that wants to come get their own. Bring your own shovel, truck or trailer load your own. I use to get this stuff but after getting it I always developed a sinus, eat infection & bronchus I was very bad sick for 2 or 3 weeks. This stuff is full of mold & mildew great for making you sick. I tried getting it on a windy day loading and unloading from the up wind side so not to breath the mold & mildew but still got sick. NOW I advertise on Craigslist for someone to haul me a pickup truck load there is always someone wanting to make $50 for 2 hours work.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”