jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Re: Squash

Quoting Rainbowgardener: " We still don't know for sure exactly what combination of influences is killing off the bees, but they likely are our canaries in the mine shaft."

Yep, they are called Varroa Mites. Do your Google search. Sadly the honey bees are not likely to survive in the wild without the help of a beekeeper these days.

I am asking the moderator to take down (delete) my post on the sticky named "Squash". Since photobucket dumped us on our heads, the pictures don't show. It is no fun without the pictures.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have a sticky on CANNING tomatoes all the photobucket pictures vanished. Yep it sure would be nice to have pictures. If I were allowed to edit I would upload new pictures.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Quoting Rainbowgardener: " We still don't know for sure exactly what combination of influences is killing off the bees, but they likely are our canaries in the mine shaft."

Yep, they are called Varroa Mites. Do your Google search. Sadly the honey bees are not likely to survive in the wild without the help of a beekeeper these days.

I am asking the moderator to take down (delete) my post on the sticky named "Squash". Since photobucket dumped us on our heads, the pictures don't show. It is no fun without the pictures.
I had to relink 5,000 pictures on Websites and various forums due to webshots selling out, not fun. Can you relink the pictures

Sad about the Honey Bees, but whats even more sad is the how the Ground Nesting Bees are being affected as well.

The mite problem is one of the reasons I haven't put up any Mason Bee homes.

The main problem is ignorance, one example is my next door neighbor who is one of the nicest, kindest, easiest going, type of person you will ever meet.
Were both out in the yard talking the other day as he has his 2 gallon spray container of roundup spraying his back hill as I'm laying barriers up against my plants to keep them out of harms way.

His mindset is kill all the weeds on the hill, my mindset is leave it alone. It was all starting to flower with some pretty blue flowers. It just gets me that someone would rather have a hill of dirt than pretty flowers. He could at least plant a low maintenance crop up there like white clover or something, any how the only positive I can see is that maybe its a great spot for ground nesting bees.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"Can you relink the pictures"

I have recently changed computers. Many of the pics are not on my computer. I suppose I can find originals. Usually I resize them before uploading them. It would be a major project. Then I would need a site to host them. NO! I don't suppose it will happen. :evil:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, just a test: This is one I put on postimage.org

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Did not especially like postimage. Flickr seems a better choice for me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I learned how to get my pics off photobucket. Go to photobucket and wait for it to load, click library wait for it to load. Do not open any pics. Single click the first pic, copy and paste to your computer. Check computer to see if pic is there full size. Delete the pic you just moved then do the next pic.

Saturday I copied 4 pages of pics to my computer then deleted all the pics from photobucket. I have 12 more pages to move & delete.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I deleted all my pics on Photobucket. Then uploaded one. I was going to bring that one picture here, but photobucket does not want to be a host any more I guess. Seems that is why I left them.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A friend stopped by yesterday, amongst other things, he was having a problem with his phone. It was crammed with photos that he has taken over the time he has had it.

Many of my photos were uploaded to Photobucket years ago. Some were linked to HG posts, here. It was disappointing that they stopped allowing free embedding on other websites but, you know, that might be happening in the future with other services.

The public is learning how internet companies use a targeting of consumers to make money from advertisers. That's a new wrinkle in capitalism. However, capturing consumer interest with bargain basement and even free deals is a time "honored" way of setting up a base of consumers.

The internet is still new and change occurs quickly. Not all changes will be "user friendly" as these companies explore and find ways to make $. I am glad that the Photobucket change generated so much criticism but it wasn't even the first image host to make the change from free to a charge for service.

DW likes to take videos. We might put them on YouTube and she will share the link. Or, she shares them with family and friends on Facebook. The PC here at home was bloated with all of her pictures and videos. I have put some pictures in cloud storage but haven't done that with her videos. Instead, I bought her an external hard drive.

My photos are still on Photobucket and a few other services. To put one of them on the forum, I just download them back into my computer for the few minutes it takes to upload them to a forum post. Right now, I will try keeping picture storage on the phone and computers to a minimum by doing that. Maybe someday I will buy myself an external hard drive.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps A USB flash drive? Computers do crash now and then. It is well to back up all your documents and photos to some external source for permanent storage.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Perhaps that is so, James.

When I looked at flash drives a few months ago, it appears (to my unsophisticated eye) that they now have remarkable memory capacity.

My only experience with them is just carrying a file or two from one computer to another.

Steve

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”