iLLogicaL

Eggplants, why won't you sprout for me?

Hi Guys!

I'm new here...after growing a small herb garden last year I've decided to go full-bore this summer and grow some vegetables. I've got a nice 20x20 plot in a local community garden, and have started quite a few seeds in a little makeshift arrangement in my utility closet. I've had success getting peppers and some hybrid tomatoes to sprout (along with a bunch of other stuff) and they're approaching the four true leaves epoch, but none of the five different varieties of eggplant I've tried have sprouted a single seedling.

Any tips? I think one of the problems is the lack of warmth...most of the time the containers are at around 50-60 degrees (F). But, though it took a little longer than normal, I did get peppers and some fancy pants tomatoes to sprout in these conditions, and they're doing just fine. Are eggplants just more finicky?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

a) How old is the seed you are using

b) What temperature are you trying to sprout your seeds at

A bit of pre-emptive advice, soak the seeds in water overnight before planting them.

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

Eggplant DO take a little longer to sprout. :?

doccat5
Green Thumb

Seeds must be started indoors 8-10 weeks prior to last frost. Sow seeds 1/4" deep and provide a soil temperature of 24-27C (75-80F). Even moisture is essential while the seed is germinating. Germination is slow (up to 2 weeks). Gradually harden off seedlings, but do not allow temperature to go below 15C (60F).
Found this on the web, the low temps maybe your problem.

iLLogicaL

Thanks everybody! The seeds are fresh, packed this year by Burpee. I think it's the temperature thing...they definitely were not in the 70-80 range. I just saw that the instructions were pretty much identical to the tomato seeds (with the same temp requirements), and the tomatoes sprouted eventually so I was hoping the eggplants would too. Guess not.

I think I'm just going to direct seed and hope for a long season. I like learning the hard way : )

native

My eggplants always sprout a little slower and they like it warm. I start mine in the house in peat pots, the ones you soak and they expand. I always thought egglants are finicky also.

iLLogicaL

Well, I'm proud to announce I finally got some eggplant to sprout. I scrapped all my first batch as they were starting to fuzz up with mold, and started over with larger (2 inch) peat pots, and yesterday came home to see two bursts of green coming out of one of the pots. Millionaire Hybrid wins the race...yippee!

Guess I will withdraw my lawsuit against Burpee now : )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”