jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Plan

Well its about time to get started in the garden for this year. :lol:

https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/GARDEN.pdf

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

A Plan that ambitious could only be handled by a Pro. We know you are up to the task. Look forward to your harvest pictures.
It is always difficult for me to know how much and how often to fertilize. I tend to use 15 0 15 since my soil tests showed plenty of that middle number, that I so often forget.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

April 12, 8:16 AM, its 34 degrees and snowing. Won't be planting today!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I really don't know how you stand it. Here it is 63 deg and sunny right this minute, going up to 77 for the high and everything is growing like crazy.

imafan26
Mod

I see you plant a lot of older varieties. I tried marketmore and straight 8 cucumbers, but I found them seedy and they had a bite I did not like although they did grow well. Most of the people here only like the Japanese/english type, so I plant Suyo and Jade. They are heat resistant (you don't have to worry about that) and have some resistance to downy and powdery mildew. They are also seedless so they are not bitter. The skin of Suyo Long is bumpy so it isn't real pretty. I do like butternut squash though, I wish I had the space for it. I know you plant the varieties that work best for you but do you experiment with new varieties too?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have plenty of space. Yes, I do try new varieties. I always plant 4 to 5 different cucumber plants.
My local seed store stocks about a dozen different varieties of cukes.
Here it is April 12 and its snowing. I won't be planting for a few days.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"I really don't know how you stand it. Here it is 63 deg and sunny right this minute, going up to 77 for the high and everything is growing like crazy."

Well, I just sit here in my chair and play on the computer and watch it snow outside. Right now its coming down pretty good and there is a fair breeze driving it. Glad I don't have a good reason to be out in it.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here it is April 17 and we have two inches of fresh snow on the garden plot. Partly cloudy, 34 degrees and breezy. I took the wild birds some seed, but was happy to come back in. Won't be planting today.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, thought I would bring you a picture, but guess I ain't smart enough? I am sure having problems with pictures these days. Photobucket dumps us on our heads, and other hosting sites I have tried are not working out well.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Not smart enough Jal? Maybe it's just the altitude :). Here's what I do - I'm only about 150m above sea level but it still took me a while to figure it out.

I download picture files straight from the computer (or the sd card/ camera connected to it.) Here's how it works for me:

Scroll down below your reply box and click on "Upload attachment"; below that hit "browse" in the small grey box; select the file/photo you want to insert then click "add the file" (green box.) Finally you'll get a screen showing the attachment's file name and green options to delete or add it inline.

If you hit add-inline it will probably put it at the beginning of your post, but you can find the attachment code that inserts it and use cut/paste to relocate it anywhere in the message.

Going to have sunshine here today!

[attachment=0]I'maCat2.jpg
Attachments
I'maCat2.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Attachments
mp450.jpg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Woo Hoo! It worked. Thank you Vanisle_BC for your help.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I confess, I been kicking around these woods for a good long time. I have seen some things, done some things, and been a few places. My Dad was a farmer and had a herd of milk cows and 150 acres of ground. He had a chicken coop and chickens, sometimes a pig or two. He worked the ground with a team of horses. There was one ol tractor on the place, but it was only used in the fall for running the threshing machine. I never saw it used for tilling. Ya, we worked.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf: "It is always difficult for me to know how much and how often to fertilize. "

Here at this location the soil needs nitrogen. It seems to have plenty of the other nutrients. So I get some pelleted nitrogen and using a hand spreader just sprinkle some on the whole plot in the Spring at planting time. That is it. In the fall if I have leaves or grass clippings or manures, they can go on the garden after frost and be tilled in before the snows come.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Woo Hoo! It worked. Thank you Vanisle_BC for your help.
Y'r welcome. What's all that white stuff?

applestar
Mod

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

April 21, clear blue skies, not a cloud to be seen. 41 degrees. Nothing growing. Been a bit too cool. The grass is starting to green up. I went out and looked for the garlic, but is is not coming yet. Its a little early for corn, beans and squash, so I sit here bored outa my gourd.

applestar
Mod

See, that’s because you are well-prepared. I would be and have been trying and not succeeding to cleanup from the winter and get the garden beds ready to plant .... :oops:

Finally got around to going out and getting much needed amendments for some of my depleted beds, but I still have to take down the snow mangled trellis from one of the areas where I want to plant artichokes.... :roll:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”