SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'm ready to plant

Traded in my garden tools for snow tools and will be planting some snowmen.
I swore I saw a few Polar bears out in the garden.

Good Morning

Last edited by SQWIB on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Oh my. And I am just complaining about high 30s

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am waiting for mud to dry up it has been raining about 4 days out of every week for a long time. Last year I planted tomatoes in the mud about April 20. It finally dried up enough to till about May 6th. Soon as I planted tomatoes it rained for 2 more weeks. You can see last years tomato plants in this picture, being under water for 2 weeks does not hurt them.
Attachments
100_6086.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lots of my Cincinnati friends are posting pictures of the advent of "spring" there, with snow knee deep. We had a light frost last night, but after this night time temps will be at least in the 40's. I did have to bring my four trays of seedlings back inside a couple days ago. They will go back out Saturday and hopefully get planted soon after that.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

44 degrees, overcast and calm. The snow is off my lot. Guess I will go plant some onion sets.

xtron
Cool Member

we had 4 inches Tuesday/wensday. it's mostly melted off, but we're looking for 8-10 inched over the weekend. it was 26 last night and supposed to be high 20's next two nights. if the weather guessers are right, it should start getting better next midweek.
it doesn't look like it's going to dry out much over the next 3 weeks, but I've tilled mud before. as long as you keep it shallow, it works good enough to plant in.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

xtron wrote:we had 4 inches Tuesday/wensday. it's mostly melted off, but we're looking for 8-10 inched over the weekend. it was 26 last night and supposed to be high 20's next two nights. if the weather guessers are right, it should start getting better next midweek.
it doesn't look like it's going to dry out much over the next 3 weeks, but I've tilled mud before. as long as you keep it shallow, it works good enough to plant in.
And I just came in from the back porch where my wife and I are sipping cocktails in shorts and t-shirts. It got into the mid 70's today and the weather has been absolutely great-------but summer is fast approaching and I'm not looking forward to that heat and humidity for months on end.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Another wonderful day in Northern Utah. 33 degrees and snowing.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

While the regular garden is still in winter mode, the new raised beds (stock tanks) are ready to go...if we can get out of the 30s and get rid of the chances for snow. We missed the foot of snow that went to northern Iowa yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_7144.jpg

andrewfray
Newly Registered

I am loving this thread guys! I am new to the forum and so far very excited to be here.
I am a retired gardener myself and love strolling the web for new tips and suggestions. I found a new 2018 planting zone map recently and want to share with my fellow gardeners

https://gilmour.com/planting-zones-hardiness-map

hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!!

DarrenP

I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
We have a warm autumn here in South Australia, almost like summer just quietly fading away. I've been ruthlessly clearing the summer crops as they stop fruiting, and preparing the raised beds for cooler crops. Already sown some seeds, and planted a few seedlings to get a head start.

applestar
Mod

PaulF wrote:While the regular garden is still in winter mode, the new raised beds (stock tanks) are ready to go...if we can get out of the 30s and get rid of the chances for snow. We missed the foot of snow that went to northern Iowa yesterday.
Those are like ready-made raised beds! Presumably holes drilled for drainage or already leaking? How big are they across? Can you reach the center? Did you fill them all the way to the bottom?

...I hope you start a garden progress thread. I’d love to see what you grow in them :-()

applestar
Mod

DarrenP wrote:I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
We have a warm autumn here in South Australia, almost like summer just quietly fading away. I've been ruthlessly clearing the summer crops as they stop fruiting, and preparing the raised beds for cooler crops. Already sown some seeds, and planted a few seedlings to get a head start.
I guess this would be equivalent of late September for me and here, I would be looking at first frost within the next month or so... But it sounds like you will have above freezing weather for some time? Good luck with your fall/winter garden!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

The weather is warming up and the glacier has started to recede, the ducks in the back yard have removed their life vests as the Mekong Delta recedes.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

False alarm, the ducks got their life vests back on and I saw a couple frogs with water wings.
I'll be starting a rice paddy tomorrow.

DarrenP

applestar wrote:
DarrenP wrote:I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
I guess this would be equivalent of late September for me and here, I would be looking at first frost within the next month or so... But it sounds like you will have above freezing weather for some time? Good luck with your fall/winter garden!
In our little corner of the world we don't get to freezing point, we do get down near zero degrees Celsius occasionally. Winters can be dry sometimes (like last year). So cooler crops can be grown right through the season, brassicas, root crops, leaf crops, etc. We can't even grow some crops through summer that can be grown down in Adelaide, like cabbages and beetroot.

@SQWIB, does that mean it's wet round your way? :D

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I'm getting antsy, too. I just got all of my trays and pots labeled and filled today, and the seeds go in on 4-1 - traditional day for me to do that with the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. I have a few things that are slower started (habaneros), and a few more sprouting in the spoons, but I wasn't going to push it up any this season, as cold as it's been around here! I had to skip my spring greens, due to knee surgery, but I'll be getting out there come May! And all those people that want peppers and tomatoes are offering their help. lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”