SQWIB
Greener Thumb
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Zone 7A - Philadelphia, PA

I'm ready to plant

Traded in my garden tools for snow tools and will be planting some snowmen.
I swore I saw a few Polar bears out in the garden.

Image

Good Morning

Image
Last edited by SQWIB on Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lakngulf
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1275
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Lake Martin, AL

Re: I'm ready to plant

Oh my. And I am just complaining about high 30s
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

User avatar
Gary350
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 5386
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:59 pm
Location: TN. 50 years of gardening experience.

Re: I'm ready to plant

I am waiting for mud to dry up it has been raining about 4 days out of every week for a long time. Last year I planted tomatoes in the mud about April 20. It finally dried up enough to till about May 6th. Soon as I planted tomatoes it rained for 2 more weeks. You can see last years tomato plants in this picture, being under water for 2 weeks does not hurt them.
Attachments
100_6086.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 25303
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 pm
Location: TN/GA 7b

Re: I'm ready to plant

Lots of my Cincinnati friends are posting pictures of the advent of "spring" there, with snow knee deep. We had a light frost last night, but after this night time temps will be at least in the 40's. I did have to bring my four trays of seedlings back inside a couple days ago. They will go back out Saturday and hopefully get planted soon after that.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

User avatar
jal_ut
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 7480
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: Northern Utah Zone 5

Re: I'm ready to plant

44 degrees, overcast and calm. The snow is off my lot. Guess I will go plant some onion sets.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

xtron
Cool Member
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:20 pm
Location: christiansburg virginia

Re: I'm ready to plant

we had 4 inches Tuesday/wensday. it's mostly melted off, but we're looking for 8-10 inched over the weekend. it was 26 last night and supposed to be high 20's next two nights. if the weather guessers are right, it should start getting better next midweek.
it doesn't look like it's going to dry out much over the next 3 weeks, but I've tilled mud before. as long as you keep it shallow, it works good enough to plant in.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 3065
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:01 am
Location: New Orleans

Re: I'm ready to plant

xtron wrote:we had 4 inches Tuesday/wensday. it's mostly melted off, but we're looking for 8-10 inched over the weekend. it was 26 last night and supposed to be high 20's next two nights. if the weather guessers are right, it should start getting better next midweek.
it doesn't look like it's going to dry out much over the next 3 weeks, but I've tilled mud before. as long as you keep it shallow, it works good enough to plant in.
And I just came in from the back porch where my wife and I are sipping cocktails in shorts and t-shirts. It got into the mid 70's today and the weather has been absolutely great-------but summer is fast approaching and I'm not looking forward to that heat and humidity for months on end.

User avatar
jal_ut
Super Green Thumb
Posts: 7480
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:20 am
Location: Northern Utah Zone 5

Re: I'm ready to plant

Another wonderful day in Northern Utah. 33 degrees and snowing.
Gardening at 5000 feet elevation, zone 4/5 Northern Utah, Frost free from May 25 to September 8 +/-

PaulF
Greener Thumb
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:34 pm
Location: Brownville, Ne

Re: I'm ready to plant

While the regular garden is still in winter mode, the new raised beds (stock tanks) are ready to go...if we can get out of the 30s and get rid of the chances for snow. We missed the foot of snow that went to northern Iowa yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_7144.jpg
Paul F

andrewfray
Newly Registered
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:19 pm

Re: I'm ready to plant

I am loving this thread guys! I am new to the forum and so far very excited to be here.
I am a retired gardener myself and love strolling the web for new tips and suggestions. I found a new 2018 planting zone map recently and want to share with my fellow gardeners

https://gilmour.com/planting-zones-hardiness-map

hope you all enjoy it as much as i do!!

DarrenP
Full Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:54 pm
Location: Mid North South Australia; warm temperate climate

Re: I'm ready to plant

I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
We have a warm autumn here in South Australia, almost like summer just quietly fading away. I've been ruthlessly clearing the summer crops as they stop fruiting, and preparing the raised beds for cooler crops. Already sown some seeds, and planted a few seedlings to get a head start.

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 28177
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

Re: I'm ready to plant

PaulF wrote:While the regular garden is still in winter mode, the new raised beds (stock tanks) are ready to go...if we can get out of the 30s and get rid of the chances for snow. We missed the foot of snow that went to northern Iowa yesterday.
Those are like ready-made raised beds! Presumably holes drilled for drainage or already leaking? How big are they across? Can you reach the center? Did you fill them all the way to the bottom?


...I hope you start a garden progress thread. I’d love to see what you grow in them :-()
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

User avatar
applestar
Mod
Posts: 28177
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 pm
Location: Zone 6, NJ (3/M)4/E ~ 10/M

Re: I'm ready to plant

DarrenP wrote:I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
We have a warm autumn here in South Australia, almost like summer just quietly fading away. I've been ruthlessly clearing the summer crops as they stop fruiting, and preparing the raised beds for cooler crops. Already sown some seeds, and planted a few seedlings to get a head start.
I guess this would be equivalent of late September for me and here, I would be looking at first frost within the next month or so... But it sounds like you will have above freezing weather for some time? Good luck with your fall/winter garden!
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Zone 7A - Philadelphia, PA

Re: I'm ready to plant

The weather is warming up and the glacier has started to recede, the ducks in the back yard have removed their life vests as the Mekong Delta recedes.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Zone 7A - Philadelphia, PA

Re: I'm ready to plant

False alarm, the ducks got their life vests back on and I saw a couple frogs with water wings.
I'll be starting a rice paddy tomorrow.

Image

DarrenP
Full Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:54 pm
Location: Mid North South Australia; warm temperate climate

Re: I'm ready to plant

applestar wrote:
DarrenP wrote:I'm amazed that you guys are still getting snow in your spring. Is that normal?
We have a warm autumn here in South Australia, almost like summer just quietly fading away. I've been ruthlessly clearing the summer crops as they stop fruiting, and preparing the raised beds for cooler crops. Already sown some seeds, and planted a few seedlings to get a head start.
I guess this would be equivalent of late September for me and here, I would be looking at first frost within the next month or so... But it sounds like you will have above freezing weather for some time? Good luck with your fall/winter garden!
In our little corner of the world we don't get to freezing point, we do get down near zero degrees Celsius occasionally. Winters can be dry sometimes (like last year). So cooler crops can be grown right through the season, brassicas, root crops, leaf crops, etc. We can't even grow some crops through summer that can be grown down in Adelaide, like cabbages and beetroot.

@SQWIB, does that mean it's wet round your way? :D

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb
Posts: 1687
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm
Location: Woodbury NJ Zone 6B

Re: I'm ready to plant

Yeah, I'm getting antsy, too. I just got all of my trays and pots labeled and filled today, and the seeds go in on 4-1 - traditional day for me to do that with the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants. I have a few things that are slower started (habaneros), and a few more sprouting in the spoons, but I wasn't going to push it up any this season, as cold as it's been around here! I had to skip my spring greens, due to knee surgery, but I'll be getting out there come May! And all those people that want peppers and tomatoes are offering their help. lol
Dave

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”