smokeeater360

Starting seeds

I have two trays of seeds that I am starting for my garden indoors. How many glow lights do I need to provide adequate light for these seedlings? The room that I am puting these seedlings does have an unobstructed south window allowing in a good amount of sunlight. My last go round with trying this didnt turn out for the good. I even had heat mats underthe trays. Any suggestions or hints would be helpful.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

If you have a 4 foot shop light with two fluorescent light bulbs that should do. Keep the lights at about two inches above the plants and move the lights to about that level above the plants as they grow. The lights should be on for sixteen hours per day and the plants kept in the dark the other eight. I do use timers to turn on and off the lights and keep the plants trays in my basement.

If you use the natural light source your plants most likely get very leggy and spindly. Grow lights are an unnecessary expense and regular fluorescents will do fine. I use one cool white and one warm white bulb. At the two true leaf stage I transplant the seedlings into two inch individual pots and continue the 16 on 8 off schedule until hardening off and planting into the garden.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Try using bulbs that are closer to 6000 k.

applestar
Mod

It’s very important to specify what kind of seeds you are growing. Different plants have different germinating and seedling growing requirements.

We can provide basic generic info, but we could help more if you supply more details.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have about 65 plant trays that are 4 packs with about 260 seeds germinating. I keep them inside the house where it is warm when I see plants growing I set them outside every morning to get real sunlight. As long as it is 35 degrees or warmer outside plants do good. It always warms up outside at least 20 degrees during the day. It warmed up to 53 degrees today. I bring the plants inside soon as it starts getting dark so plants don't get fatally killed to death by frost or freeze. We had several days of warmer weather it only got down to 40 at nite so the plants got to stay outside all nite several days. My plants are doing good it is another 4 weeks until last frost. I don't own any grow lights, hot pads or fans for garden plants.

smokeeater360

applestar wrote:It’s very important to specify what kind of seeds you are growing. Different plants have different germinating and seedling growing requirements.

We can provide basic generic info, but we could help more if you supply more details.
Tomato seeds and bell peppers.

applestar
Mod

Ok. You have two warm temp germinating seeds, but peppers need more heat than tomatoes. Tomatoes readily germinate in 70’s but peppers are better with 80’s.

If the south exposure sunlight is strong, the seed starter trays may get more heat than you might think while the sun is shining. This may also dry them out. Two things to watch out for. I would put a thermometer on the starter trays to monitor the temperature.

You won’t need the supplemental light until they sprout. But they need it when the sun is not on them. How much can you baby them? Are you away all day? Reason I ask is that the lights would block the sun unless you can move the trays to the lights as needed during the day, or you set up something clever so they supply the supplemental light without blocking the sun.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"The lights should be on for sixteen hours per day and the plants kept in the dark the other eight."

Hmmmm, I leave the lights on 24/7. I am not convinced the plants need a dark time.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My seeds hatched 2 weeks ago plants have been 1.5" tall for 2 weeks just setting there not getting any bigger. Then I realized plants probably need fertilizer so I put about 2 tablespoons of 15-15-15 in a 2 liter soft drink bottle of water shake water bottle well then water every day for 3 days plants have already doubled in size. Don't forget to feed your plants. Its been 20 years since I grew my own plants from seeds I guess I forgot what to do. LOL

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

"The room that I am puting these seedlings does have an unobstructed south window allowing in a good amount of sunlight."

Most houses have a roof overhang. As the year advances the sun goes higher in the sky each day till June when it will be high overhead. There will be no direct sunlight actually coming in through the south windows.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”