octupus
Newly Registered

Grow vegetables in the house

I want to grow vegetables in the house without knowing how?

applestar
Mod

I assume you man you want to LEARN how?

First you need to assess what kind of space and environment you have in your house that would be suitable. And whether you would be able to provide additional things plants need to thrive — sunlight and/or supplemental light, temperature, regular water, fertilizer ...and space — in the house.

Then you need to think about what you can or cannot grow in your house, and what you want to grow from that list. And if there are vegetables you absolutely want to grow but your house is lacking what they need, whether you can - or are willing to spend money to provide - what are lacking.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

LIGHT will be the most important variable. If you have a good window (I was going to say south facing, but that is for me in the northern hemisphere, I suppose for you it would be north facing, anyway the one that gets the most all day sun) with no trees, etc in front of it, you will be able to grow some things in front of the window. Then you can do something like this to increase how much you can grow there:

if you search images for "plant shelves for windows," you will find lots of different build it yourself designs.

Other than that you will need supplemental lighting which is dedicated lamps very close to the plants. That can be something like this:

it can be ordinary fluorescent tubes, doesn't need to be special grow lights.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I was in 8th grade my mother had a left over sweet potato from Thanksgiving that has growing 6" long sprouts. I put it in a container and grew it all winter. The vines went across the top of a sofa, chair, table, in front of 3 living room windows. I planted 7 of moms dried soup beans in a pot they grew into a bush when they blossomed I set the pot outside for bees to pollinate the plants and a few weeks later the plants had bean. Mom threw those beans is a pot of soup and we ate them for dinner.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I grow herbs and some gteens indoors during our "off season", some just in a south facing window, others under flourescent bulbs. However, for fruiting plants, like tomatoes and peppers, you will need more light than I have, which, in the flourescent system is two T8 and two T5 bulbs, which works well for herbs, as well as lettuce and a few Asian greens I have grown (mizuna, minutina, tatsoi, and small bok choys). What are you looking to grow?

And something you have to watch for indoors - bugs! Some herbs that I have grown are magnets for aphids or spider mites, which then get on the surrounding plants. When I get rid of the problem plant, the bugs disappear!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”