vietnamese gardener

My most successful hydroponics crops

Hello every one,
Today I would like to show all of you my results in hydroponics growing vegetable in Nha Trang, Vietnam.
Best regards.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What a nice set-up you are growing in and the results are fantastic. Everything looks so healthy and vibrant. Great job.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. It is fun to see what others are doing.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Gorgeous setup!

I have a question for you : are any of those plants herbs? Most look like greens, but I know that you use a lot of herbs there, and I have grown some Asian herbs hydroponically, though a couple didn't do well, attracting spider mites, though they never had this problem outside. Fortunately, basils didn't have any problems, and they are the ones that I use the most.

vietnamese gardener

jal_ut wrote:Very nice! Thanks for sharing. It is fun to see what others are doing.
thank you for your attention.

vietnamese gardener

gumbo2176 wrote:What a nice set-up you are growing in and the results are fantastic. Everything looks so healthy and vibrant. Great job.
Thank you for your kind words.

vietnamese gardener

pepperhead212 wrote:Gorgeous setup!

I have a question for you : are any of those plants herbs? Most look like greens, but I know that you use a lot of herbs there, and I have grown some Asian herbs hydroponically, though a couple didn't do well, attracting spider mites, though they never had this problem outside. Fortunately, basils didn't have any problems, and they are the ones that I use the most.
Hello my friend,
Today I'll show you some result on spice vegetable growing
My Basil crops
My Perilla crops
In general, I have no difficulty in growing spices vegetable. It is very fragrant and sweet, actually.
Thank you for your attention.
Have a nice day.
Regards.

imafan26
Mod

Beautiful set up and very healthy looking plants. How long does it take to raise a crop of basil and perilla to be ready for market and how many pickings do you get before you need to pull the plants.

vietnamese gardener

imafan26 wrote:Beautiful set up and very healthy looking plants. How long does it take to raise a crop of basil and perilla to be ready for market and how many pickings do you get before you need to pull the plants.
Thank you very much for your attention. Basil and perilla takes me around 60 days to havest (not included nursery periods, about 2 weeks). We just harvested once only for Basil and three or four pickings for perilla, and then start the new crops.
Have a nice day.
Best regards.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I remember seeing a TV show on hydroponics, with a guy growing only basil on one part of it, and he said that he would get 5 harvests from a planting - he could get 7 or 8, but the output reduced, so he settled on 5, and would have a new batch ready for harvest, when that one was done. I guess he had a few batches in succession planting.

I'll have to try perilla again; it did not do well at all in my DW hydro, in the same one the basil did great in. And last summer it grew much better in the ground, than in a sub irrigated planter, which is sort of a form of hydroponics. However, rau ram did great in the sub irrigated planter, and this is the one the perilla just withered away in. I was thinking that the roots of rau ram were poisonous in some way to the perilla. Have you ever heard of something like this vietnamese gardener? I tried rau ram in my DW hydroponics, but both times they attracted spider mites horribly, so they weren't in there too long (same thing both times I tried rice paddy herb). As soon as the rau ram is removed, the bugs disappear off the other plants. Strange how some things do this indoors, yet I never have the problem outside!

vietnamese gardener

pepperhead212 wrote:I remember seeing a TV show on hydroponics, with a guy growing only basil on one part of it, and he said that he would get 5 harvests from a planting - he could get 7 or 8, but the output reduced, so he settled on 5, and would have a new batch ready for harvest, when that one was done. I guess he had a few batches in succession planting.

I'll have to try perilla again; it did not do well at all in my DW hydro, in the same one the basil did great in. And last summer it grew much better in the ground, than in a sub irrigated planter, which is sort of a form of hydroponics. However, rau ram did great in the sub irrigated planter, and this is the one the perilla just withered away in. I was thinking that the roots of rau ram were poisonous in some way to the perilla. Have you ever heard of something like this vietnamese gardener? I tried rau ram in my DW hydroponics, but both times they attracted spider mites horribly, so they weren't in there too long (same thing both times I tried rice paddy herb). As soon as the rau ram is removed, the bugs disappear off the other plants. Strange how some things do this indoors, yet I never have the problem outside!
I would get at least 3 harvests from a basal but I noticed that it would be fresh longer (about 3-4 weeks in the fridge after havested) if I kept the roots, so it is the reason why I just harvest once only.
As I can see, perilla and rau ram would do well in NFT hydro. And I never have or heard that the roots of rau ram were poisonous to the perilla or some thing as you mentioned.
Regards.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thanks. Good to know that rau ram is not poisonous. Must have just been something wierd with that one perilla plant.

vietnamese gardener

pepperhead212 wrote:Thanks. Good to know that rau ram is not poisonous. Must have just been something wierd with that one perilla plant.
As I can see, perilla need much of sunlight to growing well.

vietnamese gardener

Kales
Have a good time.

imafan26
Mod

Looks really good. Very nice and productive. It is very clean. That is important to keep the plants healthy. Do you grow any tomatoes or cucumbers or do you only have a rail system? Do you have to heat or cool to maintain optimum temperature in the poly house?

vietnamese gardener

imafan26 wrote:Looks really good. Very nice and productive. It is very clean. That is important to keep the plants healthy. Do you grow any tomatoes or cucumbers or do you only have a rail system? Do you have to heat or cool to maintain optimum temperature in the poly house?
In Nha Trang, we have two seasons in a year only.
In the Summer, temperature outdoor is about 35oC and in the poly house is up to 41oC. But we just cover the house with black mesh and spray mist indoor plant watering to cool down.
In the Autumn, temperature maintained at 28 - 32oC outdoor and 30 - 32oC indoor, we still cover the house with black mesh at noon and spray mist indoor plant watering.
We do not have much money to install cooler equipment in the poly house actually, but the plants still growing very well.
We also grow cucumber (production as below) and will grow tomatoes in the next 2 months.
Have a good time.

imafan26
Mod

Looks great. We grew Tasty Jade. It looks a lot like yours. Tasty Jade is parthenocarpic so it does not require pollination. Your temps are much higher than mine. In the hothouse it is warmer and more humid than outside. In summer a tarp had to be put just under the roof to keep the lettuce from bolting too fast and solar fans are used to cool the inside as well as misting. Fungicides are not regularly used so heavy misting cannot be done without asking for fungal issues.

vietnamese gardener

imafan26 wrote:Looks great. We grew Tasty Jade. It looks a lot like yours. Tasty Jade is parthenocarpic so it does not require pollination. Your temps are much higher than mine. In the hothouse it is warmer and more humid than outside. In summer a tarp had to be put just under the roof to keep the lettuce from bolting too fast and solar fans are used to cool the inside as well as misting. Fungicides are not regularly used so heavy misting cannot be done without asking for fungal issues.
Fungal is a very very big trouble in my garden, too. And most fungal infection plants were died within a week.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”