Maxy24

Seed Starting/Planting Out Calendars

I know there are several online calendars that tell you when the best time is to start each type of seed and when it's best to transplant them out into the garden (or direct sow them). I'm finding that different calendars give different dates and I've had bad luck with early season veggies, mainly because I start the seeds too late or plant out too late. So I was wondering what calendars you personally have relied on with good success.

applestar
Mod

It’s important to find out what usda zone you live in and when your spring last average frost day and fall first average frost day are.

I happened to look them up for your location when I was answering your question about onions, so I believe you live in usda zone 6a and your average last frost occurs within the first 10 days of May.

A lot of when to start seeds and when to plant them out will be based on your last average frost. Your seed starting conditions will also influence how quickly they will sprout and grow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't pay any attention to zones, I don't even know what zone I live in an I have lived here 41 years. It makes no difference zones are generic information on seed packs guessing about when your last frost might be.

How long have you lived at your geographical location?

WHEN is your last frost?

How long is your growing season?

When does your soil warm up to 65 degrees?

You should plant some small seeds 4 to 6 weeks before last frost. Tomatoes & peppers are the only vegetable seeds I would plant inside.

Pepper seeds & tomato seeds are slow to germinate soak them 24 hours in warm water then plant them and keep them about 75 degrees until you see plants. Once you see plants make sure they get real sunlight every day.

Seeds are often temperature sensitive if you plant them in 90 degree weather they will not germinate or plant them in cold weather below 65 they will not germinate.

When soil warms up to 65 degrees, check soil 2" deep with a thermometer, you can plant, corn, beans, squash, okra, melons, peas, etc.

You can plant onion sets a month before last frost as long as it does not get down to 20 degrees F at night.

You can sprinkle carrot seeds in the snow when temperature gets right they grow.

Plant, chard, cabbage, kale, broccoli, lettuce, spinach, greens, boc choy, Napa, in the garden a few weeks before last frost they come up with weather is right.

Plant all potatoes in dry soil they do not like mud & water or they rot. Russet & Red potatoes & sweet potatoes are hot weather potatoes plant them when you plant beans & corn.

Plant garlic in the FALL 2 months before first frost. I have had good luck planting garlic 1 month before last frost we often have 60 to 70 degree weather during the day in March. Garlic is temperature sensitive plant it in spring so it gets morning sun coolest part of the day until 11 am then full shade the rest of the day.

Buy seeds to suit your growing season. If you have a short summer buy corn that is a 65 to 75 day crop. 90 day crop might get frost bit before harvest. If you have a longer growing season with a short spring & hot summer plant 65 to 75 day corn, it does not grow well above 85 degrees. The corn belt is the best place to plant 90 day corn, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, MO, Iowa, NE.

Do not plant anything in your garden that is frost sensitive before last frost unless your prepared to cover it up every night. I am looking at a list that shows everything in the cabbage family and lettuce family are not harmed by frost. Broccoli & Kale are good down to 28. Napa, Boc Choy, red chard & cabbage 25. Beets & onions 20. Russian kale, cilantro, green chard 15. Lettuce & spinach 10. Garlic 5. Collard greens & Leeks 0.

The reason straw works good to mulch potatoes is because straw in a light color it reflects the sun better than dark colors, it also shades the soil to keep it moist and cool. Potatoes do better if soil is not hot and dry.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Calendar? The one hanging on the wall. Lessee, Tomatoes and peppers, start indoors about third week of March. Plant out about first of June. Carrots, peas, onions, spinach, radish, chard, plant early as soon as snow is off and the soil is so you can get on it. Corn, beans and squash, plant first week of May. Cucumbers and watermelons plant June 1. Have fun!

imafan26
Mod

The calendars are only a guide, I don't have any frost dates in Hawaii . But some things like different temperatures. Lately we have had some quirky weather and cold fronts coming in. I usually start my warm season crops on March 1. But it has been so wet that it would be futile right now because the fungal disease would wipe them out. Although, I don't have an official start date or 4 seasons, I still have much better luck if I plant cool season vegetables when the temperatures don't exceed 80 in the daytime, 70 for things like carrots and arugula which get bitter in warmer temps. Plant warm season crops when the night temperatures are over 50 degrees for things like tomatoes and sweet peppers, 68-80 degrees for really hot peppers, eggplant, most tropical squashes. One quirky thing is that brussels sprouts and broccoli have to mature in cool weather so they actually have to be planted in the shade in July-September. Plants that are determined by day length like corn can be planted from February till about September. Onions and garlic (short day) planted between September 25- October 25. They need to be in the frig from July. Most tropicals will grow year round and since they are used to heat and humidity, rain and mildew are rarely a problem although too much rain can still cause root rots. Temperate vegetables like the ones you find in the market only like perfect weather. Not too cold or too hot, right day length, and not weeks of rain followed by steamy humidity.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you really want accurate, get a soil thermometer and plant by soil temperature (you can look up what soil temp each seed needs). There can't be a completely accurate planting calendar, because each year is different. This year we are having a bunch of freezes right here at the beginning of spring. Next year maybe not. Some years winter is harsher, meaning the soil stays frozen longer. So early march might be the right time for me to plant cold weather crops (here in zone 7) some years, but not others, could be anywhere from mid-Feb to mid-March.

The other source of information that keeps you connected to what is actually happening this year is phenology, the study of natural plant cycles. This will tell you things like plant potatoes and peas when the forsythia blooms.
Plant corn and beans when elm leaves are the size of a squirrel’s ear, when oak leaves are the size of a mouse’s ear, when apple blossoms begin to fall, or when dogwoods are in full bloom.
Plant lettuce, spinach, peas, broccoli, and cabbage when the lilacs show their first leaves or when daffodils begin to bloom.
Plant tomatoes, early corn, and peppers when dogwoods are in peak bloom or when daylilies start to bloom.
Plant cucumbers and squash when lilac flowers fade.
Start succession plantings of beets and carrots when dandelions are blooming.
https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic ... r-planting

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”