rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

asparagus and strawberries

I didn't know quite where to put this topic... vegetables? fruits? perennials?

Anyway last year I planted asparagus down one straight edge of one of my quarter circle garden beds and strawberries down the other straight edge, taking up about a third of the space. Asparagus did great last year, though of course I didn't harvest any. And then the strawberries went crazy and basically took over the whole bed.

My question is will the asparagus spears (which haven't shown themselves yet) be able to grow through the strawberry plants or should I clear the space for them?

applestar
Mod

I can’t say for sure - I’m trying to think what nutrient needs and maybe pH needs might possibly pose a problem... but in terms of occupied soil level, it seems to me the strawberrries are very shallow while asparagus are very deep and might be able to co-habit the same space? Strawberries are like groundcover.

If you need to, you could provide support for the asparagus fronds so they don’t lean over the strawberries and cast too much shade? I end up corralling the asparagus with bamboo poles because mine are growing near the blackberries and get in the way.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The asparagus will come up just fine. You will want to harvest some of the early fronds this year. In this area about first of June, you stop cutting it and let it grow up tall. You have to let it grow up tall and stand there all season till frost. It is this time with the fronds in the sunshine when the plant sends down nutrients to the root that will put forth your next years crop. Have fun!

xtron
Cool Member

don't know about asperagras, but garlic loves to be in the strawberrys. and vice versa.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Rainbow when I saw your heading "Asparagus and Strawberries" I thought you were going to report on a new culinary experience or experiment. It sounds really good and I can't wait till those plants are ready to be harvested and commingled. Have you tried strawberry & basil together? Do you agree that asparagus is best eaten raw off the plant?

As for growing them together I expect the asparagus will be undaunted. In my experience asparagus roots create a near-impenetrable mat. Other plants - weeds in my case - can root into it but will be stunted though impossible to dig out. I can't imagine strawberries ultimately thriving among asparagus. I've abandoned my impacted asparagus bed and started a new one, mulched with leaves, intensively policed for weeds and due to give it first harvest this year - soon, soon!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I love strawberry -basil. I have made strawberry basil ice-cream and jam and strawberry basil margaritas (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=69389&p=395146&hil ... il#p395146).

I imagine there could be some strawberry- asparagus pairings, but not something I have tried. Here's a recipe for strawberry, asparagus, spinach salad, with goat cheese and almonds, that sounds really good

https://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/2015/0 ... gus-salad/

I hope I can still be harvesting asparagus by the time I have ripe strawberries! :)

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Saw the very first signs of emerging asparagus here today. Yay! That salad sounds good.

Edit: but personally I wouldn't cook the asparagus :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”