gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Got some seeds in the ground today

We've been getting really warm weather as of late with highs in the low 80's and at this time of year our chance of freezing weather is pretty much done for the year. So, that said, I managed to get some seeds in the ground today and transplanted some lettuces that were scattered in the garden all into one spot.

I put in my yard long bean seeds and my pole bean seeds under a couple of my trellises and will have to wait a few days to work the soil under my back trellis to be able to put in my cucumber seeds. That area of the garden stays a bit wetter than the rest and we had some pretty hard rains a week or so ago.

I'm waiting on my soybean seeds that I plant to harvest for edamame and they are a must every year. And I've decided no tomatoes this year. I've had such issues with them the past few years that it isn't worth planting them for the little harvest I get. Between pests, fungal issues and diseases, they've worn me out trying to grow them. Besides, they are cheap at roadside stands when they are at their peak around here.

I will put in okra, a new bunch of super hot pepper plants to replace the ones that didn't survive this past winter with our few days in the low 20's, and the normal stuff like bell peppers, eggplants and a plot of corn my wife wants me to try.

I've got chard, kale, onions, garlic, broccoli, collard greens, lettuces and beets still producing for now but some of that will fade away as it heats up.

imafan26
Mod

It has bee cold for me the last few days with the night temperature dipping down to 55 degrees and a couple of cold fronts passing through. The cool season plants like the kale, cabbage, cilantro, and lettuce are fine with that. The peppers are not so happy. All this rain is increasing problems with bacterial spot so I may have to get rid of some of the seedlings. Remarkably, I have not seen much powdery mildew, even on the roses. It was sunny yesterday as the rain came overnight. I am hoping to get some plants potted up today, but I have to take my mom to her doctor appt. and that usually takes up my entire day, so I will see how far I get.
I usually put in my warm season crops on March 1. It is just time for most things. It will still be raining but the temperatures will be mild and it is unusual to get below 60 degrees then. Right now, I may not make that because I ca't dig in the garden until the red clay dries out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Way to go. Makes me jealous. Here its 33 degrees and clear skies with a foot of fresh snow on the ground. Have fun!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

jal_ut wrote:Way to go. Makes me jealous. Here its 33 degrees and clear skies with a foot of fresh snow on the ground. Have fun!
We can all be jealous of something or other, like your mountain views while I live in land so flat I can watch my dog run away for a week. Plus your garden is WAY bigger than mine and from seeing all of what you harvest every year makes mine pale by comparison.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I am afraid this is a "false spring" but I too put some stuff in the garden today. I had some green beans and silver queen corn started in the green house, and transplanted it to the garden today.
We will see. The spots are small enough that I could cover them up if we get that March cold snap, which is a good possibility

MoonShadows

I got some seeds started in my cold frames I built in my greenhouse: lettuce, spinach, onions, cabbage and Brussel Sprouts. The cold frames stay warmer, and I don't have to heat the greenhouse as much.

MoonShadows

I got some seeds started in my cold frames I built in my greenhouse: lettuce, spinach, onions, cabbage and Brussel Sprouts. The cold frames stay warmer, and I don't have to heat the greenhouse as much.

Rory
Newly Registered

I have some plants hardening off in and out depending on the weather. Did put these in the ground today to go with the 100 or so I have holding over from fall.
Attachments
Resized_20180223_105339.jpeg

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Rory, welcome to the forum. Here its still snowing.........

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”