Tilly Cutforth
Newly Registered

Can I Eat Veggies Growing With Mushrooms?

:?: :!:

A few weeks ago I discovered some smallish white mushrooms in my garden. I don't know much about mushrooms so I am not sure what kind they are (I have done some research and am still not sure).

I definitely am not going to eat them, since I don't know what kind they are (and since I don't like mushrooms...), but I want to know if I can still eat the vegetables that they were growing with.

They were growing among my cucumber plants, with mature cucumbers. Do the mushrooms make my cucumbers inedible or is it perfectly safe to eat vegetables with mushrooms growing very close?

Thanks so much for your help! :D

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Are the mushrooms touching the cucumber fruit?

Just rinse the vegetables to make sure there are no spores on them.

applestar
Mod

Yep. I agree. It’s very common for fungi/mushrooms to grow in the woody and mulchy ingredients mixed in the soil. They help break them down into nutrients that the plants can use and are mostly beneficial for the garden.

As you said, NEVER try to eat any of the unidentified mushrooms, but I agree that the plants and produce growing in the garden bed are safe to eat after washing them.

If you have mold and fungus allergies, you may be particularly sensitive to the spores, so I would take ordinary precautions and/or allergy medications.

Tilly Cutforth
Newly Registered

Thank you for your help! I'm glad to hear that mushrooms won't hurt my veggies, and are in fact good for my garden. :) I picked the cucumbers and just made sure to rinse them very well. :)
ButterflyLady29, just one cucumber was actually touching any mushrooms.

gakaren
Newly Registered

Tilly Cutforth wrote:Thank you for your help! I'm glad to hear that mushrooms won't hurt my veggies, and are in fact good for my garden. :) I picked the cucumbers and just made sure to rinse them very well. :)
ButterflyLady29, just one cucumber was actually touching any mushrooms.
And you can do even better by using a veggie wash/rinse. Just google home made veggie wash & a bunch of recipes should come up...and most are from common household products we all have.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”