freeflow
Newly Registered

Green or Clear Poly Tunnels for Strawberries & Tomatoes?

Hi

are green poly tunnels any good to grow strawberries and tomatoes or should we go for clear ones?

Thanks

applestar
Mod

There must be a specific answer to this — I’m just speculating, but part of the answer would probably depend on what time of the year/part of the growing season you will be using this, and your latitude/max temperature levels, because the green ones you are talking about I believe have structurally strengthening fiber netting built-in which also creates some % shade.

freeflow
Newly Registered

It would be say April to October in Scotland, trying figure if I need a clear one or if plants will get enough light.

ACW

From observation driving through Aberdeen shire for salmon fishing the commercial growers are all using clear poly tunnels .
don't think I have seen a green one .The commercial growers would not ignore anything that might give them better production.
For those over in the rest of the world Aberdeen shire is major centre of soft fruit production in the United Kingdom!
however that far north through the summer daylight is much longer than we get down here in London and Wales .

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

freeflow wrote:It would be say April to October in Scotland, trying figure if I need a clear one or if plants will get enough light.
Green tunnels will make green light, plants will not like green light.

April to October is the same growing season I have, April 20 to Oct 30.

When sun is low in the sky the atmosphere Blocks out several wavelengths of light, green, blue, violet leaving lots of RED light. Also when sun is low it is less concentrated there is 2 times more sunlight when sun is straight up. Green tunnel will not give plants much light especially when sun is low on the horizon.

My grandmother had a fence around her strawberry patch to keep the geese in. Geese will eat anything but a strawberry plant and a strawberry.

I plant my tomatoes so they get morning sun then shade from a large tree 1pm to dark.
Attachments
sun angle.png
sun angle.png (6.75 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

imafan26
Mod

In the tropics, we do use the phylon for rain cover and to provide shade. It can be anywhere from 40-50% shade. A clear roof has too much solar gain. We would have to put shade cloth and use fans under the roof to keep the plants from burning.

If solar gain is your goal, it will be warmer and the sun will be magnified in with a clear covering.

In summer, some people even put tarps over the shade house because the orchids and anthuriums burn. There is enough light coming from the sides since the backyard houses are relatively small.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”