smokeeater360

Setting up a pump system......

I am looking to set up a stock tank this coming spring to catch rain water. I would also like to be able to set it up with a small pump that I can use to pump it through a hose or PVC pipe to a sprinkler type system to water my garden. Any suggestions for the pump or pictures of your set ups? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hillbilly Homer

I use an old sump pump and a garden hose.

xtron
Cool Member

I catch rain water off my (metal) roof in a 55 gallon plastic barrel and use a sump pump to pump it up hill to 4 300 gallon IBC totes. when I need water thru the season, I gravety feed the water thru garden hose. I'm hoping to add a plastic pipe soaker system this year.

smokeeater360

I have a plastic 300 gallon stock tank that I plan to build a stand for and set it on top with room to house the pump under the tank. The stand will be placed with the farthest part of the garden being maybe 30 feet from the tank. Looking to set a pump underneath it but not really wanting to spend $200+ for said pump.

smokeeater360

As I mentioned in my previous post, the garden is about 6-7 feet away from where the tank will be set. The lenght of the garden is about 30 feet. I am planning to lay a PVC line along the edge of the garden with outlets to hook up runs of garden hose with holes drilled into them creating soaker hoses. I am wondering if a 1/10th hp portable transfer pump will be adequate to run this system without burning up the pump or if I will need to run a return line back to the tank to keep water circulating. Any Ideas would be welcomed.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

smokeeater360 wrote:I am looking to set up a stock tank this coming spring to catch rain water. I would also like to be able to set it up with a small pump that I can use to pump it through a hose or PVC pipe to a sprinkler type system to water my garden. Any suggestions for the pump or pictures of your set ups? Thanks in advance for any help.
An emitter line may work also, not sure if it will work via gravity or not.
I'm working on a few rain barrels now to automatically feed my pond and supplement city watering.

Tank has a hose bib on it that will be tee'd off. One side will be for manual watering the other I plan on hooking up a 1/4" line from the timer and direct it to the pond, no pressure needed for the timer.

Below (RIGHT) is a picture of the timer.

applestar
Mod

For an alternative, depending on exactly what you are trying to do —

I’m not very good at this kind of thing, so I have to overcome the trepidation of building anything from scratch, BUT, I’m going to pursue this concept for my garden —

Airlift pump in a bucket! 5 month old technology, Already in use in Denmark, Canada France, USA - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8pI31ZwEL40

...for starters, I have been experimenting with airlift concept for a little spitter in my pond, and it works!

If I can get over the mental hurdle, I want to eventually build a complete design airlift pump — it Really doesn’t look hard, but I’ve never made anything with pvc pipes. It’s probably not in this video, but there is a flanged collar you need to make using a heat gun to soften the lip.
Airlift.eu
Introduction to airlift pump - YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TOVZ4oklBFw

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”