JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I found a new planter...

So cleaning out my big shed...making room, and lots of stuff needs to go. I've had this utility sink that's been tucked away in here for probably 10 years for a project that never materialized...and never will materialize. I thought about just chucking it or trying to find someone to take it off my hands, and then I realized it would be a PERFECT planter (unless I'm missing something). I figure I can put in a layer of gravel, fill with soil, and then let stuff grow. Maybe lettuces or something in the early spring. I'd be able to harvest lettuce for a quick salad without bending over. The added bonus is that if it REALLY needed to come inside (think severe cold snap), it could. It'll be heavy, but I think my wife and I could wrestle it indoors. Alternately, I could move it into partial shade if it gets to hot/sunny. So any reason this won't work?

applestar
Mod

Looks like a raised planter to me! I have one buried in the very back of the attic that I have been trying to get at for years with the same purpose in mind. haha.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Drill holes for drainage.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Drill holes for drainage.
Well...it's a sink. It was designed to drain...lol. I know what you mean, but if I put a layer of gravel down it should drain very well as is.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”