Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Which Cherry Tomatoes is best in HOT summer weather.

Cherry tomatoes do better than regular tomatoes in hot weather.

Which variety of cherry tomato is best in hot weather?

Which variety of cherry tomato taste like beef steak?

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I like the Matt's Wild cherry.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I ordered some Matt's Wild Cherry seeds today for my spring planting. They are supposed to be heat tolerant. We shall see.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I don't know why whenever I post a picture from my phone it doesn't come up, very frustrating...

Also a time limit on editing is a PITA

Sorry but here's the photo that was supposed to be in my first post.
Matt's Wild Cherry.

These reseed in this area for me, the original plant I put here died, this plant is a volunteer that I let go.

applestar
Mod

I believe it’s the Flickr app — only gives you access to Flickr page link. If you use Chrome to access your album, it lets you long-press to open the image so you can get the .jpg link.

...if you need anything edited after expiration, just pm a mod. We’ll be happy to oblige. :wink:

Oh oh! I like Matt’s Wild Cherry too. Coyote is another one that will keep going until frost and can volunteer, but delicious as it is, Coyote (like MWC) is best vine ripened but tends to split when fully ripe so if you can’t harvest first thing in the morning every couple of days at least, it’s probably not the right variety for you.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

G picked up a couple of tomato plants to supplement my heirlooms for my fall planting. One was Husky Red Cherry. It did well but I think it would have been a better choice for spring/summer planting.

I am looking forward to trying Matt's Wild Cherry.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes look good. What about the FLAVOR???

My son planted Cherry tomatoes in the garden 3 years ago, I have no clue what variety they are. Every spring I have volunteer cherry tomatoes I hate to kill plants so I move some of the volunteers into available garden space. When other tomatoes slow down in 98 degree hot weather cherry tomatoes keep on producing. I saved cherry tomato seeds this year but wish I could find a cherry tomatoes with a good beef steak tomato flavor. Even though these cherry tomatoes could be better they are still 70 times better than grocery store tomatoes. Any tomatoes that survive the hot summer weather starts producing tomatoes again in cooler weather. Any tomato plants that die I squeeze seeds from a garden tomato into the soil where that plant was and a dozen tomato plants will be coming up in 3 days. Replacement plants produce better than old plants that survived the summer heat. I will look for Matt's Wild Cherry tomatoes at the Amish Garden Center in April.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”