smokeeater360

Ideas......

Looking for inexpensive ideas for making reusable trellises for my peas. Let me know your ideas. Current width of garden is about 16'.

applestar
Mod

You said re-usable so not exactly what you asked, but I mostly use twiggy branches cut from shrubs and trees in spring with cotton support strings if necessary. They are compostable rather than re-usable. I tend to value ease of clean up in trellises.

For tall peas, I use bamboo stakes and strings. I do sometimes use skinny fiberglass fenceposts — I think they are meant to be used for temporary electric fence and deer fence. I only have limited number of them and they have many uses, so not always available for peas.

imafan26
Mod

For temporary trellises I use folding tomato cages. They can be stacked or opened up like a fence. The one thing I don't use them for is tomatoes. For that I use CRW which is stronger. CRW can also be a good temporary fence since it can be rolled and stored at the end of the season. I also used tent poles and tent corners with tiles to make temporary trellises for squash which crawl on the top of the structure on CRW wire. Bamboo makes good poles and they can be tied together to make lattice panels.
You could also make a hinged A frame trellis that could be folded up when not in use.

For me I have a chain link fence. It is not temporary but it is reusable.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

garden072010003-1.jpg
garden072010003-1.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
The components are reusable. Wire tie the 1 by 2's together. Baling twine for horizontal support is usable for at least 2 years before it is too damaged from sunlight.

Three foot wide beds for peas would be a better choice than my 4' beds. They put quite a bit of weight on the contraptions ;).

Steve

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'm using Remesh from Home depot this year for trellising

Remesh

Hillbilly Homer

I like using cattle panels for peas,cucumbers... They are $20+- for 16'x50" and they will last forever... :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have never trellised peas. Plant 3 rows ten inches apart and stand back.

imafan26
Mod

I have a small garden, but I have a space with a permanent trellis. I do use CRW 7'x10'. I plant tomatoes, cucumbers, peas, and pole beans on this trellis in succession plantings. Squash needs a bigger and stronger structure and for that I use a tent frame with CRW on the roof. It can be taken apart for storage and I can set it up and still pass under it so I would still have a place to walk.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

James has the right idea. I often sprinkle seeds in a 3 ft wide row so seeds are about 3 inches apart then push seeds into the soil with my finger. Lots of plants climb all over each other it turns into a pile of plants about 3 ft tall. I am going to do a 3 ft wide row this year with not stakes and no fence wire.

TSC = Tractor Supply Company sells fence wire in rolls, 10 ft, 25 ft, 50 ft, 100 ft, price is about $1 per foot. I use to have a 25 ft piece of fence wire 4 ft tall. I used about 6 cement rebar stakes to hole the fence up. Be sure to buy the steel fence wire not the aluminum wire. Aluminum gets damaged very easy. Lowe's & Home Depot has fence too.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been studying my garden layout on paper trying to get maximum growth in the garden space I have and came up with and idea you might want to try. Plant 2 rows of okra 12" between the rows. Plant okra seeds 12" apart in each row. Plant a row of peas between the 2 rows of okra and a row of peas on each side 6" from the okra giving you 3 rows of peas and 2 rows of okra. Pea seeds do good 3" apart. Cut off the lower leaves of the okra plants as they grow 7 ft tall so the peas can climb up the okra stalks. This gives you free poles for the peas to climb up. If I only get a few okra pods near the top of each plant that will be plenty of okra for us.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”