applestar
Mod

Re: Globe artichokes

I started mine like this since I don’t/won’t have room for starting them in 4” pots from the outset. They need 65-75°F soil temp, so I added the strip heating mat. Hopefully that will be enough, combined with a little boost from the CFL bulb during the day... I might put the thermostat on the heating mat... I’ll have to retrieve it from the upstair seed starting area.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Yeah, on the smaller flower buds, the “leaves” are not meaty enough to be worth the trouble. That’s the part I’m most concerned about growing my own — I’m going to be a bit more heavy-handed about fertilizing. I decided to try one that other members are not growing, so I ordered Emerald seeds from Territorial and will start them as soon as they arrive. Their growing instructions are worth studying.

We can compare at the end of the season. :wink:
Sounds good :clap:
I'll be trying "Imperial Star" and "Green Globe", I think the Green Globe is one of the most popular varieties grown

applestar
Mod

Looking forward to your reports :wink:

I checked the soil temp this morning at it was only 68°F so I plugged the heating mat into a thermostat. Checked it again just now, and it’s holding at 72.5-73.5°F Image

applestar
Mod

Artichokes are starting to sprout. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

mine too! :)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”