applestar
Mod

Re: Winter

Great photo! It’s a Flicker isn’t it? I’m not positive but I think yours looks a little different from the kind that comes to my garden which is a Yellow-shafted Flicker.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Thursday February 1, its overcast, calm, and 38 degrees here. I went out and took the wild birds some seed. we have Juncos, Magpies, Eu. Doves, Starlings, RW Blackbirds, E. Sparrows coming in to feed.

applestar, yes the photo is of a Flicker. We have the Red-shafted here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

February 15, Thursday, its 31 degrees and snowing here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh my, I just looked out and it is snowing and there is about 200 Red-winged Blackbirds hitting the bird feeder. Temperature is 32 degrees,

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I bet that was an interesting, colorful sight!

We might have had snow and red-wing blackbirds. It might have been the last of March but the birds are never around during the winter. Warmer weather and they are one of the early birds. Or, I can be in the right place and the yellow-headed blackbirds are there. Brewer's, I guess that they aren't so early.

Seven or more inches of snow fell yesterday. Beautiful bluesky day for most of today but snow-rain-snow beginning tomorrow. What is left on the ground Sunday afternoon won't be going away any time soon. NWS says after weekend storms, it's going down to single

digitS'

pow wow

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

pow wow, thanks for sharing your pictures.

Here today at 10:20 AM its sunny and 42 degrees. The snow is moving back, but my garden is still snow covered. So I go take the wild birds some seed and come sit at the computer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good Sunday morning! Here its 48 degrees and windy. No snow yet.

applestar
Mod

We had snow here last evening/night — 2-3 inches — but starting to melt already.

@pow wow — I LOVE it that you are still hand feeding those little birds! Thanks for sharing the videos and photos. :clap:

pow wow

Thanks jal_ut and applestar, It's my pleasure to show off the birds. It's to the point where I feel guilty if I skip feeding them for a few days. But I know they can feed themselves, our winters can be so snowy and cold. One little Chickadee I feed has only one leg but it seems to do just fine.

It's -0.4F right now, snowed over night so I will be shoveling for a few hours. (my place and for several elderly people in the area)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Keep up the good work, Pow Wow :) !

Yesterday, it was very windy. Not far from where I used to live in what is called the Palouse, there were winds of 63mph. About 1/2" of precipitation fell over about 48 hours, most of it as rain. It didn't take away the 7" of snow we had on the ground.

The temperature began to fall with sundown, continued right up until about 8am today when it hit 21°f (-6°C) and it's now warmed up to 22°f. With this remarkable "heat wave" this afternoon, the winds are now gusting about 25mph so the wind chill is 7... real single digitS' may come by tomorrow morning but we are almost sure to see them by the 20th with a forecast low of 5°f (-15C).

Highway travel must be real dangerous. The bridge over Lake Washington into Seattle has just closed because of high winds but the real question I have is how people are doing on icy highways. I90 in the Cascades was closed much of yesterday because of a 19 vehicle pile-up. And now, the slush has turned to ice!

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I went out and got on the tractor and moved about ten inches of "partly cloudy" off the driveway.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Pic of the Magpie nests

Since Photobucket dumped us on our heads...... I am wondering what other hosting sites there may be available?

xtron
Cool Member

no photos...yet.. but..
here in western Virginia, we have robins bopping around, and the trees are budding out getting ready to throw leaves...
the daffodils are up around 6 inches above ground.
think spring is upon us, thank goodness.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spring? How exciting. Here its 29 degrees and there is a foot of snow still on the plot. We are expecting to get some more storm tonight. Nothing growing but ice.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We finally had some thawing yesterday but the 44 °f came with wind gusts of 45+ mph!

The Sunday snowstorm just missed my place but even as it warmed the 6" or so already on the ground blowing with heavy snow falling resulted in whiteout conditions on highways just south.

It's back to 24° this morning and I bet the stars and moon are shining brightly but I don't have to be outdoors for a couple of hours. By then! The eastern sky should be bright with sunlight.

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

17 degrees here and clear blue skies. I took the wild birds some seed and was happy to come back in.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

11:00 AM 48 degrees, overcast and windy. Hey if it hits 50 I will have to walk out and see if any bees survived the winter?

applestar
Mod

...and over here, it’s snowing! Big fat flakes and temperature hovering at freezing so not sure if it will stick, but strong whipping winds robbing warmth from the house and it feels cold!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

28 degrees, calm, and a bit of fresh snow on the lot. I took the wild birds some seed, now sit here at the computer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sunday Morning, re-run, snowing, I took the wild birds some seed and picked up the snow shovel to move a bit of snow off the walks.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

March 8, we still have winter here 22 degrees this morning and 8 inches of snow still on the lot. We do have clear skies and sunshine. I decided to bake bread today so while it is rising I will look at the internet. Have a great day!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Saturday morning, 34 degrees and sunny. My garden still has 6 inches of snow on it. So I go feed the birds and come sit at the computer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

9:00 AM 30 degrees and sunny. Six inches of snow. Maybe someday it will warm up here?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It did warm up to above normal here!

Sunshine and yesterday's high was 58°f. Overnight, the temperature dropped 30° to 28°. I bet those kinda temperature swings are real common for you, James. They are the bane of my gardening existence! Very few plants appreciate such daily extremes.

A 40° difference between daytime high and nighttime low is possible. That's what may happen about the time of a first or last frost. The day just cannot warm above 70° and then frost occurs by morning. Clear skies, sunny days, sparkling stars at night - freeze! And hey! This isn't a desert and at 2,000 feet, it's not very high ... now, I might be lamenting the PNW spring overcast here in a couple of months ;).

Steve ;)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

8:30 AM, overcast, calm, 48 degrees. WX woman says we got snow coming.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

8:30 AM its calm, 35 degrees and snowing. Guess I won't be planting anything today?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Imagegrdn621 by James_40 Lofthouse, on Flickr

Still looks like winter here.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Just texted to a guy on his way over Monida Pass heading to Park City.

He said that there was a snow storm to drive through.

I was working in the front yard on the fence earlier this week, slogging through the snow still left in the shade. Then, it rained. Now, I have enough snow to make one snowball! There is a chance for more tomorrow night but rain is also forecast. I think that the time has passed for any snow in my yard by afternoon on any day until Autumn. Maybe I can have it fenced out by then :wink: .

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You gonna fence out the snow? Good luck on that one.

Here this morning 26 degrees and a fresh coating of white on everything.
Clear blue skies and sunshine. The only thing growing is ice.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Monday March 19, clear blue skies, 25 degrees. My garden has an inch of fresh snow on it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”