Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Novella pea seed in N. america?

I can't find Novella pea seed except online in Australia & NZ. Can anybody help; either point me to a source or send me a few to get me started on them again. Don't know how I failed to save any from last year. I'll trade for any other seed I've got (only vegetables.) I think sending private, non-commercial seed US to Canada is legal but maybe not officially sanctioned the other way? (And pea seed is kinda big :)).

applestar
Mod

I don't have it but was intrigued and did a quick search, and descriptions are even more intriguing. Are you only interested in Novella and not Novella II?

I thought I might try growing it -- did find Novella II here: https://www.reimerseeds.com/novella-ii-sweet-peas.aspx

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

[utuquote="applestar"]...... Are you only interested in Novella and not Novella II?

I thought I might try growing it -- did find Novella II here: https://www.reimerseeds.com/novella-ii-sweet-peas.aspx[/quote]

Thanks, applestar. The one I've been growing for years by seed saving was originally just called Novella by the grower/retailer. Whether it should have been called Novella ll, and whether there's a difference, I don't know. I've liked it because it was both dwarf and early besides being sweet. Reimer says it's 67 days to maturity which I don't think is as early as I thought (never timed it.) They also call it self-trellising which may be pushing it a bit. I've never tried that but the plants do have a surprising abundance of tendrils and are very short.

My other standards are Maestro - also fairly early, short and can I say semi-indeterminate? - and Green Arrow which is later and taller but still only about 3-4 feet.

applestar
Mod

I've been looking for early pea varieties, too. I don't know their shipping policy, but have you looked here?

Pine tree Garden Seeds - Peas
https://www.superseeds.com/collections/peas

Their packets are small, but price is right for small garden like mine.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I will look at Pine Tree Seeds. Checked Reimer's. Their seeds are cheap but with shipping a package of peas would be about $17.50 Canadian. Kinda steep.

Added: Pine tree don't list them. I'm still looking, would like to find them more locally.

By the way, if you like snap/sugar peas, I also grow Oregon Giant. For continuous picking and heavy yield it's amazing - tons of very large pods with many peas inside but you eat them whole (or chopped in a salad/stir fry.) They're in the 4-5 ft range for height and have good flavour.
Last edited by Vanisle_BC on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”