Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Novella pea seed in N. america?

I can't find Novella pea seed except online in Australia & NZ. Can anybody help; either point me to a source or send me a few to get me started on them again. Don't know how I failed to save any from last year. I'll trade for any other seed I've got (only vegetables.) I think sending private, non-commercial seed US to Canada is legal but maybe not officially sanctioned the other way? (And pea seed is kinda big :)).
We have work to do on all our politicians, after the votes are counted Delores Broten

applestar
Mod

Re: Novella pea seed in N. america?

I don't have it but was intrigued and did a quick search, and descriptions are even more intriguing. Are you only interested in Novella and not Novella II?

I thought I might try growing it -- did find Novella II here: https://www.reimerseeds.com/novella-ii-sweet-peas.aspx
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

[utuquote="applestar"]...... Are you only interested in Novella and not Novella II?

I thought I might try growing it -- did find Novella II here: https://www.reimerseeds.com/novella-ii-sweet-peas.aspx[/quote]

Thanks, applestar. The one I've been growing for years by seed saving was originally just called Novella by the grower/retailer. Whether it should have been called Novella ll, and whether there's a difference, I don't know. I've liked it because it was both dwarf and early besides being sweet. Reimer says it's 67 days to maturity which I don't think is as early as I thought (never timed it.) They also call it self-trellising which may be pushing it a bit. I've never tried that but the plants do have a surprising abundance of tendrils and are very short.

My other standards are Maestro - also fairly early, short and can I say semi-indeterminate? - and Green Arrow which is later and taller but still only about 3-4 feet.
We have work to do on all our politicians, after the votes are counted Delores Broten

applestar
Mod

I've been looking for early pea varieties, too. I don't know their shipping policy, but have you looked here?

Pine tree Garden Seeds - Peas
https://www.superseeds.com/collections/peas

Their packets are small, but price is right for small garden like mine.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I will look at Pine Tree Seeds. Checked Reimer's. Their seeds are cheap but with shipping a package of peas would be about $17.50 Canadian. Kinda steep.

Added: Pine tree don't list them. I'm still looking, would like to find them more locally.

By the way, if you like snap/sugar peas, I also grow Oregon Giant. For continuous picking and heavy yield it's amazing - tons of very large pods with many peas inside but you eat them whole (or chopped in a salad/stir fry.) They're in the 4-5 ft range for height and have good flavour.
Last edited by Vanisle_BC on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”