Spud Murphy
Newly Registered

Hi,

A question, please, to those of you living in warmer climates than mine.I understand that sweet corn pollination is assisted by wind borne spores.
Corn is not grown in too many locations, by gardeners, here..Does this mean that it is not possible to grow sweet corn in a greenhouse situation? I have eight new seedlings coming through and wonder should I try some in the heat of the greenhouse to see do I get a better result than an outdoors situation.?

Appreciate opinions on this one..

stvfarmboy

Between today and yesterday I got my garden tilled up. I probably won't plant anything for a little bit yet since it's supposed to get down into the 40's at night yet here.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Corn is usually pollinated by wind and not by a pollinator. I'm guessing by spores, this is what you are refferring to. Based on this, corn would not grow well in a greenhouse unless you had fans to distribute the pollen

For the same reason, different strains of corn should not be grown together unless you you don't mind having cross pollination. Corn pollen from up to a mile away has actually pollinated neighbouring strains.

Anyway, I often grow a couple of varieties of corn (usually heirloom varieties) and what I do is a) plant the seeds from different strains about a week apart from eachother
b) Plant buffer plants between the different strains to help stem the drifting pollen

Hope this helps a bit.

Spud Murphy
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply re. corn pollination.

I was happy to see that you are growing corn on Vancouver Island which has a climate very similar to Ireland . There s hope for me yet :)

I shall rearrange my planting scheme and plant the corn outdoors in the best sun trapped part of my veggie plot. I will put melons and squash indoors with my tomatoes instead of outdoors , under clear plastic..

It`s warming up a bit here this week so it`s time for getting things into cold frame or planting out next week when ground has dried and warmed up enough.

Spud.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Weather here is still dicey, so I'm moving seedlings in and outside to harden them off. We've had rain for the last 3 weekends so haven't been able to re till the beds as yet. The weather liar is calling for sunshine and 60s this weekend! I hope he's right for a change.

I've been "working" a honey hole for giant pumpkins, and should be able to get those in this weekend.

native

Pepper,
You are right nothing looks great here in august but is our time to rest.No amount of water is enough and the bugs :evil: the lack of freezes is no help. I have grown corn and transplanting it is a wast of time . it shocks it to much. The squirrels get the corn. they climb up it ,grab it, strip it and enjoy. opabinia told me to put pepper on it so I think I will try for a fall harvest.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Beautiful day here today. I did Master Gardener volunteer work on a Butterfly Garden at one of the local historical sites, it was just gorgeous outside.

Got compost ready to go, just waiting for the ground to dry out a bit more then we can get rockin! LOL

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/doccat5/100_1057.jpg[/IMG[/img]

doccat5
Green Thumb

Beautiful day here today. I did Master Gardener volunteer work on a Butterfly Garden at one of the local historical sites, it was just gorgeous outside.

Got compost ready to go, just waiting for the ground to dry out a bit more then we can get rockin! LOL
[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll45/doccat5/100_1057.jpg[/img]

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Already harvesting.
Sofar I have gotten 3 butterstick zuchini and some peas. I figure by next week the little tomatos will be ready for pickin.

Pepper

Native,

I don't no where you are in Florida but it must be closer to the water than I am. We have had several freezing nights this year but the bugs will still come. The last three nights have been below 40. Not to complain.....soon it will be hotter than a two dollar pistol. Thanks, I thought so about the corn but I haven't grown much.

I am studying on what to follow my tomato / pepper and my corn beds with when they make in the summer. Your right, August is a dreadful month. Any suggestions. I'm thinking of sweet potatoes, peanuts (I love boiled peanuts) or some cover crop to turn in before the fun begins in fall. Any suggestions?

I have been away from gardening for quite some time and this is my first garden in this area. I'm thinking that the climate is a lot like yours in Louisiana elementfiftyfour so please chime in (can I call you e54?). Congrats on the early return for your hard work. I won't see tomatoes for some time but the radishes have all been consumed.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

To be honest this is my first serious garden here in New Orleans. It seems to be turning out well so far but it is still early. We did get a couple of colder nights just recently but not below mid to upper 40s. Still warm enough to keep from killing the plants thankfully. For all you folk living up north I know how you feel. I grew up in Ohio and I remember not being able to even get started in the garden till mid May. I'm already teasing my Dad with the fact that I have started harvesting and he hasn't even been able to put his cucumber seeds in the ground. :D

Pepper, I envy you for your consumption of radishes. I would have planted a winter garden but I didn't have enough time or money to remodel the back yard before fall. Thankfully I have a good friend who has been gardening for so long that she doesn't know when to stop. I got allot of collards and green onions from her over the past few months to keep me happy.

Ohh, e54 is fine or just element as my internet buddies call me.

RosaDawn
Newly Registered

The weather has been really nice the last few days,so I went ahead and planted leaf lettuce,bibb,arugula,spinach,carrots and radishes.In my winter-sown containers the cabbage and bok choi are coming along nicely and I should be able to transplant them to garden soon.I have salad burnett seeded in a pot outside also some chives are starting to sprout.I put out some onion today.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Pictures taken April 11th.

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/27Gardenview.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/18whoisthisherbguy.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/14peasnbeans.jpg[/img]

Pictures taken April 22nd.

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/garden02.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/butterstick04-22.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/herbs04-22.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/moarpeas04-22.jpg[/img]

learningtogrow

Those pictures look wonderful....what progress :)

Wish that could be me right now, but there's nothing in the ground, because it's so darn cold outside, got below freezing last night and will continue to this whole week! :( But that's Wisconsin for ya!

At least I have some seedlings going in the house, and can put those in the ground in about a month or so. Can't wait!

Reptilicus
Cool Member

I've already dug up two rows of potatoes. I will plant rooster spur and deer horn peppers there.
[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/garden1.jpg[/img]

My onions are starting too seed up so the season is coming to an end for them. I will cut about 1/4 of the green tops and chop them to freeze.
[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/garden2.jpg[/img]

I've got a few marble size tomatos... as well.

Grandad

Potatoes close to harvest. Corn 1 & 2 up. Tomatoes about 18" tall. Eggplant half planted. Contender beans close to flowering. Cukes mostly planted and up. Summer squash mostly planted and up. Onions being harvested. Bell peppers mostly planted. Strawberries pretty much done. Cantelope yet to be planted. Tomatillo just up. Yardlong beans close to climbing. Carrots being harvested. Okra, peanuts and winter squash not yet planted.

J-veg

I got my garden tilled 10 days ago after a week of warm dry weather, but we hit a cold snap here in southern Ontario. I'm glad I didn't get too crazy and plant already, I still have to pick up some more compost (my pile is too young to for me to use this year) and get my dog fence up. I got a few things started inside already: tomatoes, jalapeños, and a sweet pumpkin. Getting the rest of my seeds this week...

doccat5
Green Thumb

Still too wet to do much. We did start 2 new compost piles in the back yard. Just not so patiently waiting for it to dry up enough where we can get in and finish tilling the beds. I'm holding a lot of young seedlings in the house as yet, plus the front porch looks like a nursery...........LOL Several of my coop buys came in all at once and early (naturally, what was I thinking???, LOL) but most of these are pretty tough.

Just grumbly and anxious to get my hands in the dirt finally!!! LOL

Got the wet garden blues!

Daphne

It's been a chilly spring this year so I have nothing planted other than some perennials and a few different kinds of flower seeds.

Today, I spread 160 lbs of composted manure over the garden and it will be tilled in tomorrow after noon.

Technically, the last frost date for my area is May 15th but I don't think I can wait that long! :lol:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I know the feeling! Potatoes can be planted before the last frost as can peas. :)

Pepper

You folks in Louisiana really have it going on. I'm taking notes as this is my first garden in what I think must be a similar environment. I feel almost selfish indulging myself here while our gardening brethren up north are awaiting anxiously for the weather.

Finally got poles and string up for the Kentucky Wonders today. I always wait to long and have to untangle the runners. Corn is now knee high. Radishes are played out carrots which I think I planted too late have been decimated at a very tender age. Roma tomatoes are a complete riot, Better Boys are not far behind. All have multiple fruit now. Cukes and okra are slow but we are still getting temps in the low 50's here.

Everyones pictures look great. Thanks for sharing.

nat777
Newly Registered

Mine isnt so bad, I knocked over my lupins while I was watering the other plants, I had to go back to my shed and re-plant the tiny plants ( only planted them 3 weeks ago) one by one and I took the bigger ones indoor on the window sill hoping they got more of a chance. The rest I put in the lil greenhouse, they seem to be doing well. The rest of the plants are growing slowly cause of the rubbish weather we been havin in nottingham!.

Iv planted my 3 rose plants in the garden this week and iv also planted my dads rose thorn and ....erm I cant rember the name of the other plant but I know it turns out in a massive purple flower bush ( you can tell how I'm new at this don't you lol). So there both in with the rest of my plants. I'm hoping my chills will start to grow soon! xxx

Daphne

We had severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings last night. Nothing serious here though. But as I laid in bed at 1:00, listening to the hail, wind, and rain, all I could think about is "Oh NO! I bet my garden is ruined!" But luckily, this morning when I went out to access the damages, there was none. :D Thank goodness! I had just planted 24 marigolds last night.

The garden is too wet to work in this evening so all I did was made labels to attached to the tomato cages and pepper cages. They are in cages until they get big enough that the birds don't nip then off. Then I think I am going to stake them to a pole. I don't have any old nylons so I will go to the dollar store and buy some cheapies there.

The weatherman is calling for a chance of rain everyday through next week. :( So I won't be doing much in the garden until it dries up a bit. But the wet soil will make it much easier to pull weeds in the flower bed that I am overhauling. there's enough weeds there to keep my busy and out of trouble for a week! :wink:

stvfarmboy

I got my muskmelons and cucumbers in the other day. My first round of radishes are coming up and if it dries out a bit I may try to plant some more to have a longer radish season for myself.

Daphne

The lettuce is coming up. So are the daisies and sunflowers.

There's still been too much rain to get into the garden to plant the rest of the things I want to plant. The tomatoes and pepper plants are looking great though.

I started them both with large coffee cans around them to protect them from the wind. They have grown over the top now. Do you think I should remove the coffee cans while the plants are small enough? If I wait too long, I am afraid I might damage the plants when I remove the cans.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

The
Last edited by Charlie MV on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuke

Right now three of my cucumber seedlings have sprouted up and are about half an inch tall.I planted them last Monday and they came up around Friday,so they were very early.I haven't planted the tomatoes yet because I'm going to buy ones already started.The dill is taking over the garden which is awesome because last year there was hardly a thing and I had to run to a grocery to buy some for pickling.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

My cucumber plants were eaten alive by something. No problems my grandfather has about 6 ~8 plants so there'll be more then enough to go around.

My zuccini is looking good. this is my first year planting that. I will dig up the second crop of potatoes in a couple of weeks.

My tomatoes are doing good. I have golf ball sized tomatoes. I have to get out and tyeing them up some more tonite.

The red multiplying onions have gone to seed so I'll be pulling them soon.

My bush beans, green pearl soy, and snow peas are looking ok. I still have to get some pine straw raked up around them to choke out weeds and keep the plants from dying in this So. Georgia heat.

Daphne

The weather is gorgeous today so I am going out to the garden and hopefully, will find that it is dry enough to work in. If it is, I'll be putting in cucumbers, zucchinni, green beans, and cantaloupe this evening.

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

Growin strong.

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/P5120109.jpg[/img]

One of these days the grass will finally fill in.
[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/P5120112.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/P5120114.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/elementfiftyfour/Garden/P5120113.jpg[/img]

razyrsharpe

got some zucchini blossoms today...and I noticed that my cherry hot peppers have two pods, while my hole mole peppers are also showing pods!

I strung up stakes and string for my purple hulled peas (cow peas).

Daphne

I got everything planted last night. I ran out of green bean seeds...didn't buy enough....so I had to make a stop at the farm supply store on the way home from work. I was dropping and covering seeds while it was sprinkling but I wanted to get them in before it rains harder.

The only thing I am wondering about was that the seeds I bought today are a different color than the ones I already planted! The ones yesterday were white. the package said bush beans. The bean seeds I got today are brown with some striping. I told the guy at the feed store what I wanted but when I got them home and opened up the pouch, I saw that they were different. I hope they are green beans!

damethod

My tomato plants are producing their last crop. I've trimmed all dried parts and excess leaves from them so they can concentrate on the fruits.

I just planted two pepper plants, jalapeno and red bell pepper. The bell already has a full sized pepper on it, just waiting until it turns red.

My raspberry and blackberry plants are both growing at a ridiculous rate.

All of my herbs have done well except the cilantro. It went into seed far too quickly. I am going to replant some more in an area of my yard where it only receives about 25% sun. The basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, greek oregano, mint(in a container), thai basil, lemon basil, and culantro are all coming along well.

This was my first year planting any herbs and I've learned plenty. Thanks for all the help!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Been so darn cold here lately that I haven't been able to do much! But, I have turned all my cover crops into the soil, planted a few tomatoes plants (cross my fingers), planted some peas and beans, Started 128 + tomatoe plants in my home plus some eggplants, and some other good stuff as well.

Right now, I'm wishing for February to go away and for May to come back to us.

Cuke

I just checked my garden about 20 minutes ago and now there's around 13 cucumber plants coming up.The dill is much taller,they're around 2 inches now.Tomatoes will be transplanted Thursday since it's going to rain tomorrow.I'm going to buy already started tomatoes from a local grocery store that I've had good luck with so far.

Reptilicus
Cool Member

I've gotten a good bit going on now. I've figured out how to get grass to grow well. Decide to make a garden and not want grass in that particular area. It'll grow beyond belief. :lol:

I've been behind schedule on most things and trying to catch up at this point. Here's some pictures of the garden taken last nite.

I tied up the tomato plants and layed out some soaker hoses. This weekend I will lay out some newspaper and layer it with pine straw to choke out the grass and weeds.

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08garden1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08garden2.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08garden3.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08garden4.jpg[/img]

My onions have made seed so I'll pull them up this weekend and plant something in their place...

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08onionseed.jpg[/img]

Hey I have tomatos!

[img]https://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/zelichan2008/05-13-08tomatos.jpg[/img]

elementfiftyfour
Cool Member

opabinia51 wrote:Been so darn cold here lately that I haven't been able to do much! But, I have turned all my cover crops into the soil, planted a few tomatoes plants (cross my fingers), planted some peas and beans, Started 128 + tomatoe plants in my home plus some eggplants, and some other good stuff as well.

Right now, I'm wishing for February to go away and for May to come back to us.
128+ tomato plants?

Do you not expect them all to grow or do you sell the procuce at a market or something?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I will grow a lot of them, some are going to friends, a few to a few places that I am landscaping. But, mainly for tomatoes sauce in the fall. I have about 8 Lemon Boys and I just like to eat those like plums.

Daphne

Wow! That is a lot of tomatoes! I only planted 4 this year. The summers get so hot here that I couldn't afford the water bills to keep too many. I just want to get enough to can a batch of salsa and a batch of spaghetti sauce. I'm thinking about sneaking in a few Roma tomato plants somewhere....just not sure where yet!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've also planted 9 tomatoe plants and have 9 more out front that I bought

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”