imafan26
Mod

So many plants, where to put them?

I have done it again. I could not pass up finding plants at Home depot, but my garden is still full of weeds and I don't know where I will put them

I got another paphiopedilum orchid. I forgot to go after work yesterday and the other one was gone today.
I found some plants which are not common but I have had and lost before
pandan- the one at the garden was starved and attacked by ground mealy bugs
blueberry. I was too late for the ones that came out earlier this year. These are actually bigger and nicer, now I need a big pot and a place for them
Louisiana long green eggplant - I misplaced a bag of seeds, the green egplant, roleks was one of them
Slim Filipino pepper- this is a popular sweet pepper for asian dishes like dinuguan.
These get added to:
coneflower
cuphea
Thai hot chili
lavender
english thyme
verbena
I bought these a few days ago and did not get a chance to plant after my garbage disposal broke and fell off its mount. The plumber cancelled the first appointment, and now I have to wait until Wednesday for it to get fixed.
In the meantime I worked the weekend and I don't know when I am going to put all these things in the ground
I even caught a snail trying to make breakfast of one of the plants. I ended up smashing 32 snails in all on Saturday morning before work. 1 got away.

applestar
Mod

Yay! It's always fun to get new plants -- that sense of anticipation and promise is indescribable. :-()

...32 snails :eek: And yours are BIG :x

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, especially when they are plants that are not always available. I like the more exotic ones. The cashier saw and pandan and asked if there was more. She did not know it was in the nursery either.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

At least you don't have to start figuring out how to bring them all inside...do you?

imafan26
Mod

No, I don't. Thank goodness. BTW, the inside of my house is cluttered too, and while my current cats don't go after plants, my former cats did, so I actually don't have any plants indoors. I did get some ostrich feathers which the cat kept playing with, but he has lost interest in that for now.

My garbage disposal came off its mount a week ago and the whole floor of the cabinet is damaged so the contents of the cabinet are now on the floor. it did force me to throw a lot of bottles I had under the sink and some other stuff out. I am still waiting for a plumber to get me on a schedule to get it fixed. He already cancelled one appointment because of an emergency. He's supposed to come on Wednesday. In the meantime, I am washing my dishes in the bathroom sink. Half my living room is filled with stuff from another bedroom after the toilet upstairs leaked. It has been over a year and I still have to get that fixed too.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

" but my garden is still full of weeds and I don't know where I will put them" Time to get out the rototiller and till up the garden weed patch, then plant. Don't have a rototiller? Try a digging fork. The point is: Dig it up!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

New plants can be fun as long as you don't get an unwanted surprise. I bought hot weather blackberry plants when I lived in Arizona they grow like watermelon vines. Those plants grew 45 feet in both directions around the back of the house I was not prepared for that. With no place to have 100 feet long plants I cut them short and they kept growing back so I finally dug they up and threw it in the trash. The hot weather raspberry plants make long vines too. My pomegranate tree kept trying to be a bush, LOL it took a long time to keep it trimmed back to make it be shaped like a tree. With very little cold weather grape vines never stopped growing, they worked me to death, birds ate all the ripe grapes then I cut the plants off at the ground. I think those hot weather plants are some type hybrid they are definitely different than anything I have ever had to deal with.

imafan26
Mod

Been there and done that. I sometimes end up buying plants that look nice small but become problems when they get big. I try to keep the wild ones down. I ended up cutting my lignum vitae because while the first one I had never flowered, the second flowered beautifully and then dropped seeds. Most of the plants I have in the yard don't get out of hand and don't drop a lot of seeds. I keep the ginger in the pots to make it easier to harvest but also to keep them contained. Plumeria, ti mussaenda glabra, most of the roses, bilimbi, agapanthus, geraniums, do not spread fast or rampantly, or at all. Some of the flowers like alyssum don't go far and cuphea in the books can be invasive, it has never seeded for me. What I have are weedy plants that came over from the neighbors yard ( Fukien ti, African tulip, allspice, desert honeysuckle). Bindweed, California grass, baby's tears (one of my mistakes, I bought as a hanging basket), syngonium (another of my mistakes) bamboo, lemon, and calamondin that went to ground from the pots. Oh yeah, the ubiquitous nut sedge and kylinga.
The weeds are all over my yard and I can weed whack or use round up, but rototilling is not possible. Bindweed and California grass are hard to dig up so Round up works better, but does not kill the seeds.

The plumber did not show up and he's an hour late already. Today, I am working on cleaning inside my house, it has been a while, but I will try to get outside and fill my green cans. It won't be that long, my garbage can is almost full from the purges in the house and then I will have to stop cleaning inside anyway.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”