SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Table Dainty Squash Feedback needed

I plan on replacing my usual Snow pea garden with a few Table Dainty Squash, here is the area they will be planted. I figured two plants to each section of trellis
Feedback appreciated

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Bumping this for some feedback
Thanks

applestar
Mod

Isn't that the playhouse? Is it still being used? I wanna say you should grow things kids like to eat that they could pick and pop in their mouths for snack... but I seem to remember your kids are already older?

I envision lemon cucumbers, maybe cucamelon if they are actually good -- just because they are cute (I've never grown them), cherry tomatoes, maybe a window box of everbearing strawberries or hanging window basket/box of alpine strawberries....

PraticalGardener
Cool Member
Location: Potomac Highlands region, West Virginia, USA (Zone 6a?)

I know I'm abit late, but I'll input what little I can. I've never grown Table Dainty Squash, but the picture of the trellis alone leads me to suspect you will want to at least tie up the squash to the thickest metal below the decorative leaves, to physically hold up the weight of the squash itself. :?
For the spacing, I would suggest starting with one at the hinges (you can plant two and thin one out). It might work if you are willing to prune it, but unpruned it will probably get too long.

I personally love using the (galvanized) 16 feet long 'cattle panels' and metal t-posts. The cattle panel is so strong I can even climb them if it is well-secured in place. :D I have no doubts that the cattle panel is more than strong enough for anything I've grown on them, so far Luffa 'Sponge' Gourds and Spaghetti Squash.

In hindsight I now see you picked up a cattle panel last October in your urban garden adventure. :D I'm sorry to hear your Table Dainty Squash plant(s) didn't do so well in 2018. :(

imafan26
Mod

Based on the reviews on Baker's site. The trellis may not contain it. The vining squash takes up a lot of space. Maybe something that does not have such a long vine would be better. Cucumbers, pole beans, ice box watermelon, armenian cucumber, or determinate tomato.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Thanks guys, I'll be growing cantaloupe, Kajari or Honeydew on the playhouse next season.

• Yes the table dainty failed for me.

• I planted Okra there this year, the Okra did exceptionally well.

• New removable cattle panel trellis, I use the old green fence (trellis) for my sweet potatoes.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Isn't that the playhouse? Is it still being used? I wanna say you should grow things kids like to eat that they could pick and pop in their mouths for snack... but I seem to remember your kids are already older?

I envision lemon cucumbers, maybe cucamelon if they are actually good -- just because they are cute (I've never grown them), cherry tomatoes, maybe a window box of everbearing strawberries or hanging window basket/box of alpine strawberries....

Apple, sorry I missed this post, I'm old lol, kids are grown 25, 22, 17.
We use it for storing college stuff and other odds and ends.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”