gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Really frustrating

It seems every time my garden gets dry enough to till after a heavy rainfall to loosen up the soil to pull rows, it rains again packing down the soil and forming a thick caked top layer once it dries out again. The good thing is, there are hardly any weeds taking hold as of late, so there is a light at the end of this long tunnel.

I already know what I want to plant, but now I'm once again a wait till it dries mode so I can try to pull the rows to put in seeds and started plants. If I went out there today, all I'd be doing is making mud hills and sinking up to my ankles in slush between rows.

We've had one of the wettest summers on record this year.

applestar
Mod

Re: Really frustrating

Wow that does sound frustrating, gumbo. What about your raised beds? Are they out of commission as well?

I guess we're getting remnant of Harvey here and the ground is saturated. My swale/path are ankle-deep muddy mess and I'm having to be very careful not to slip while walking around in my garden boots but the raised wide rows stay OK. That's why I call them swale/paths -- helps for drought as well as wet (though hardly as soaked as yours).

I've converted most of my ground planting beds to this design with the exception of the sided raised beds.

Do you think you might build more raised beds? You might need to build walking pier in between though ...and raise crawdads underneath Haha... or maybe wear waders if you need to resistance-train your legs :>
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The hard soil after a rain is something I take advantage of. Plants are already growing in rows and no grass or weeds in the hard soil. As long as the soil stays hard any seeds that blow in or dropped by birds lay of the surface and never germinate. This is very helpful to keep grass and weed out of my garden.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Wow that does sound frustrating, gumbo. What about your raised beds? Are they out of commission as well?

I guess we're getting remnant of Harvey here and the ground is saturated. My swale/path are ankle-deep muddy mess and I'm having to be very careful not to slip while walking around in my garden boots but the raised wide rows stay OK. That's why I call them swale/paths -- helps for drought as well as wet (though hardly as soaked as yours).

I've converted most of my ground planting beds to this design with the exception of the sided raised beds.

Do you think you might build more raised beds? You might need to build walking pier in between though ...and raise crawdads underneath Haha... or maybe wear waders if you need to resistance-train your legs :>

My raised bed is fine and I'm getting ready to put in beet seeds and in another month or so, I'll put in my garlic that will be harvested late next spring, I generally put in about 100 or so cloves of garlic as I use a ton of it for cooking during the year.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:The hard soil after a rain is something I take advantage of. Plants are already growing in rows and no grass or weeds in the hard soil. As long as the soil stays hard any seeds that blow in or dropped by birds lay of the surface and never germinate. This is very helpful to keep grass and weed out of my garden.

My problem is I don't have anything in the soil to grow just yet since the rain keeps coming with too much frequency to even pull my rows for planting. As for keeping weeds at bay, I use cardboard between the rows and cover that with grass clippings, leaves and other organic matter that breaks down as the season progresses and is turned under when I till for the next garden.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wow, my garden finally dried out enough for me to start pulling rows and planting seeds and a few starter plants I have on hand. One end of the area is still fairly wet and I'll just stay away from it for a couple more days since there is no rain in the forecast and allow it to dry a bit more before fooling with it.

Tomorrow morning I will put in the following as seeds-----Swiss Chard in a couple varieties, spinach, several varieties of leaf lettuce, beets, bunching onions, kale, parsley and turnips. The wife and I ran to the garden center and I picked up the following as starter plants in 3 and 4 packs------red and green cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and some Georgia Collards.

I was looking to get some onion sets but they won't be in stock until mid October. About that time I'll also plant my garlic.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”